From: TBONE68 on
Hi all,

Using XP, installed latest windows update yesterday and today it installed
them and asked for a re-boot.
Upon re-boot it asked for my windows XP password. I never had one so I shut
down and re-started. This time it booted up ok. But then AVG asked me for a
license number. I never had one. Also notice no sound from PC.
So, re-boot again and again looked for windows XP password. Several re-boots
later and I am now back in and AVG is now also working ok. Still no sound.
Also, al the webistes I visit that usually ask for passwords etc are asking
me to enter username, password, where previously they were stored.
I am now frightened to shut down again. Please help.
From: Shenan Stanley on
TBONE68 wrote:
> Using XP, installed latest windows update yesterday and today it
> installed them and asked for a re-boot.
> Upon re-boot it asked for my windows XP password. I never had one
> so I shut down and re-started. This time it booted up ok. But then
> AVG asked me for a license number. I never had one. Also notice no
> sound from PC.
> So, re-boot again and again looked for windows XP password. Several
> re-boots later and I am now back in and AVG is now also working ok.
> Still no sound. Also, al the webistes I visit that usually ask for
> passwords etc are asking me to enter username, password, where
> previously they were stored.
> I am now frightened to shut down again. Please help.

Check the hard disk drive for failures.

How are your backups? Current?
(Get them that way.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: bte on

From: jfk on

"TBONE68" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Using XP, installed latest windows update yesterday and today it installed
> them and asked for a re-boot.
> Upon re-boot it asked for my windows XP password. I never had one so I shut
> down and re-started. This time it booted up ok. But then AVG asked me for a
> license number. I never had one. Also notice no sound from PC.
> So, re-boot again and again looked for windows XP password. Several re-boots
> later and I am now back in and AVG is now also working ok. Still no sound.
> Also, al the webistes I visit that usually ask for passwords etc are asking
> me to enter username, password, where previously they were stored.
> I am now frightened to shut down again. Please help.

Pages: 1
Prev: Problems with updates
Next: error code 80070490