From: 2cents on
I am using Windows 98SE. I purchased a USB to Parallel adapter cable
(so I can connect a printer to the USB port instead of the parallel
port). The instructions stated to locate the folder on the
installation CD where U2Par.inf was located. The disk didn't have such
a file. So I downloaded U2Par.inf from the internet and I tried to
install the driver for the cable. When I selected the folder which
contained U2par.inf, the result was "Windows was unable to located a
driver for this device".
What is going wrong? Thanks for any help.
From: Elmo on
2cents wrote:
> I am using Windows 98SE. I purchased a USB to Parallel adapter cable
> (so I can connect a printer to the USB port instead of the parallel
> port). The instructions stated to locate the folder on the
> installation CD where U2Par.inf was located. The disk didn't have such
> a file. So I downloaded U2Par.inf from the internet and I tried to
> install the driver for the cable. When I selected the folder which
> contained U2par.inf, the result was "Windows was unable to located a
> driver for this device".
> What is going wrong? Thanks for any help.

Did you download the file from the manufacturer of the cable? It's
possible the file was intended for a different cable, or installation.

To view hidden files

1. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.

2. On the toolbar, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.

3. Click the View tab, and then under Advanced Settings list, select
Show hidden or system files, deselect "Hide extensions for known file
types", and then click OK.

4. Now see if the file is available on the CD.

--
Joe =o)
From: 2cents on
I didn't download the file from the manufacturer. I searched the CD
again, but the file isn't on it. When I connected the USB to parallel
printer cable to the USB port it was recognized simply as a USB device
(not as an IEEE 1284 controller). Perhaps the problem is with the
cable.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:08:09 -0500, Elmo <elmogeek(a)iglou.invalid>
wrote:

>2cents wrote:
>> I am using Windows 98SE. I purchased a USB to Parallel adapter cable
>> (so I can connect a printer to the USB port instead of the parallel
>> port). The instructions stated to locate the folder on the
>> installation CD where U2Par.inf was located. The disk didn't have such
>> a file. So I downloaded U2Par.inf from the internet and I tried to
>> install the driver for the cable. When I selected the folder which
>> contained U2par.inf, the result was "Windows was unable to located a
>> driver for this device".
>> What is going wrong? Thanks for any help.
>
>Did you download the file from the manufacturer of the cable? It's
>possible the file was intended for a different cable, or installation.
>
>To view hidden files
>
>1. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
>
>2. On the toolbar, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
>
>3. Click the View tab, and then under Advanced Settings list, select
>Show hidden or system files, deselect "Hide extensions for known file
>types", and then click OK.
>
>4. Now see if the file is available on the CD.

Pages: 1
Prev: upgrade to XP
Next: Windows 98 updates