From: Will Gortoa on

I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...

Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
obvious issues at the moment are:

I can't get a driver upgrade for...

Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens and
says it can't find the component]

And in Device Manager I've got one stubborn yellow exclamation mark
against:

Universal Serial Bus [USB] Controllers--->Universal Serial Bus [USB]
Controller

NOTE: There are 7 other USB components under the above heading that are
seemingly installed without an issue.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Ummm, I guess it's kind of okay to ask these questions in here?
Otherwise, is there a reliable [with its own built-in Shep ;)]
alternative place to ask XP questions?

TIA. :)

--
Will Gortoa

Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader

[IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]
From: user on

"Will Gortoa" <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:eETTo+HS9qmFFwdk(a)nospam.demon.co.uk...

> I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...
>
> Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
> obvious issues at the moment are:
>
> I can't get a driver upgrade for...
>
> Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens and
> says it can't find the component]
>
> And in Device Manager I've got one stubborn yellow exclamation mark
> against:
>
> Universal Serial Bus [USB] Controllers--->Universal Serial Bus [USB]
> Controller
>
> NOTE: There are 7 other USB components under the above heading that are
> seemingly installed without an issue.
>
> Any suggestions welcomed.
>
> Ummm, I guess it's kind of okay to ask these questions in here?
> Otherwise, is there a reliable [with its own built-in Shep ;)]
> alternative place to ask XP questions?
>
> TIA. :)
>
> --
> Will Gortoa
>
> Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
> HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader
>
> [IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]

Just a quick reply (shep`s probably counting ZZZZZzzz)

I`d boot it up in safe-mode, and delete most of everything within device manager/system then reboot,
as you`ve upgraded from 98se to XP most drivers are different (incompatible) to one another.
But wait for Shep anyway (brilliant man)

From: Cooler Dude on
Will Gortoa wrote:

<SNIP>

> Ummm, I guess it's kind of okay to ask these questions in here?
> Otherwise, is there a reliable [with its own built-in Shep ;)]
> alternative place to ask XP questions?
>
> TIA. :)

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support A busy group with
lots of experienced support.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers Not quite so busy but

No "Shep" in the above groups but quite a lot of MS MVPs with some
good advice.

From: Daave on
Will Gortoa wrote:
> I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...
>
> Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
> obvious issues at the moment are:
>
> I can't get a driver upgrade for...
>
> Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens
> and says it can't find the component]

Try:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=763&kind=1

From: Will Gortoa on
In article <459abf51$0$9773$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>, user
<noemail.com@?.?.invalid>

>Just a quick reply (shep`s probably counting ZZZZZzzz)

He's powered down? ;)

>I`d boot it up in safe-mode, and delete most of everything within
>device manager/system then reboot, as you`ve upgraded from 98se to XP
>most drivers are different (incompatible) to one another.

: O

{W-i-n-c-e}

>But wait for Shep anyway (brilliant man)

Well, hopefully he won't suggest anything as drastic as that -
considering everything 'appears' to be working okay. [And it was Shep
who suggested searching out all the various drivers prior to installing
XP. I thought I had, but the aforementioned SiS661FX/GX download didn't
'take', for want of a better way of saying it. And I missed the USB
driver issue. I'm not sure how, it was there in the Everest summary -
albeit I do find a lot of this stuff involves using the wrong side of my
brain! ;)]