From: Will Gortoa on
Daave <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid>

>Will Gortoa wrote:

>> I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...
>>
>> Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
>> obvious issues at the moment are:
>>
>> I can't get a driver upgrade for...
>>
>> Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens
>> and says it can't find the component]
>
>Try:
>
>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID
>=763&kind=1

Thanks.

But are you sure this one would be okay? Only, while surfing around
various sites, I noticed that that 661FX and 661GX and 661FX/GX
'appeared' to be different. All this confuses the hell out of me! :)

--
Will Gortoa

Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader

[IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]
From: Will Gortoa on
Cooler Dude <down(a)thecrossroads.com>

>Will Gortoa wrote:
>
><SNIP>
>
>> Ummm, I guess it's kind of okay to ask these questions in here?
>> Otherwise, is there a reliable [with its own built-in Shep ;)]
>> alternative place to ask XP questions?
>>
>> TIA. :)
>

>microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support A busy group with
>lots of experienced support.
>
>microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers Not quite so busy but
>
>No "Shep" in the above groups but quite a lot of MS MVPs with some
>good advice.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out at some point. :)

From: Will Gortoa on

One additional problem I have [discovered this morning] is not being
able to install either Service Pack 1 or 2. It throws up a message about
incompatible product key/possible counterfeit software warning, or
something.

I downloaded something called Windows Product Key Update Tool, and when
I put in the product key number it says: 'The product key entered is not
valid for this system.' {Shrug}

So, how does it work/install at all?

The CD was given to me years ago by a mate who sold off/gave a lot away
before emigrating, but I'm fairly sure it's not counterfeit. [Although I
only have the installation disk, and the product key is written out on
the back of the paper CD envelope.]

I followed a link from the Product Key Update which gave me the
opportunity to buy an 'official' one...95UKP! What can I say, I'd rather
have it as a gift!! : }

Any suggestions?

From: Shep� on
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 07:20:52 +1100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then "user" <noemail.com> sent this :

>"Will Gortoa" <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:eETTo+HS9qmFFwdk(a)nospam.demon.co.uk...
>>
>> I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...
>>
>> Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
>> obvious issues at the moment are:
>>
>> I can't get a driver upgrade for...
>>
>> Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens and
>> says it can't find the component]
>>
>> And in Device Manager I've got one stubborn yellow exclamation mark
>> against:
>>
>> Universal Serial Bus [USB] Controllers--->Universal Serial Bus [USB]
>> Controller
>>
>> NOTE: There are 7 other USB components under the above heading that are
>> seemingly installed without an issue.
>>
>> Any suggestions welcomed.
>>
>> Ummm, I guess it's kind of okay to ask these questions in here?
>> Otherwise, is there a reliable [with its own built-in Shep ;)]
>> alternative place to ask XP questions?
>>
>> TIA. :)
>>
>> --
>> Will Gortoa
>>
>> Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
>> HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader
>>
>> [IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]
>

>Just a quick reply (shep`s probably counting ZZZZZzzz)
>
>I`d boot it up in safe-mode, and delete most of everything within device manager/system then reboot,
>as you`ve upgraded from 98se to XP most drivers are different (incompatible) to one another.
>But wait for Shep anyway (brilliant man)

This is what I would do 1st :)
Don't like the system restore on XP but would use it prior to making
any changes like this just in case as well :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: Shep� on
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 11:03:47 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
sent this :

>One additional problem I have [discovered this morning] is not being
>able to install either Service Pack 1 or 2. It throws up a message about
>incompatible product key/possible counterfeit software warning, or
>something.
>
>I downloaded something called Windows Product Key Update Tool, and when
>I put in the product key number it says: 'The product key entered is not
>valid for this system.' {Shrug}

Had this as well,

Try these,
http://shurl.net/23k

and to change product key,
http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_serial_in_windows_xp.htm

Then you can install SP2.You do not need to install SP1 if you have an
SP2 disk :)

Note:This may cure your USB problems and also enable full DMA mode on
your drives.

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,