From: Daave on
"Will Gortoa" <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in
message news:ZnmiwHCFk4mFFwel(a)nospam.demon.co.uk...
> Daave <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid>
>
>>Will Gortoa wrote:
>
>>> I've managed the upgrade to XP without too many problems...
>>>
>>> Having used Everest Home to produce a summary of drivers. The only
>>> obvious issues at the moment are:
>>>
>>> I can't get a driver upgrade for...
>>>
>>> Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX [the download from their site opens
>>> and says it can't find the component]
>>
>>Try:
>>
>>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID
>>=763&kind=1
>
> Thanks.
>
> But are you sure this one would be okay? Only, while surfing around
> various sites, I noticed that that 661FX and 661GX and 661FX/GX
> 'appeared' to be different. All this confuses the hell out of me! :)

I used this site for information:

http://www.msi.com.tw/html/products/mainboard/mb_htm/mb_Intel_comparison_list.htm

SiS Chipset Marketing Name Model Name
661FX 655 Max-FISR MS-6730
661FX+963 661FM-IL MS-6540G
661FX+963L 661FM-L MS-6540G
661FX/GX+964/L 661FM3-V (PCB 2.0) MS-7103v2.0
661FX+964 661FM3-V MS-7103
661FX+964 661FM2-V LSR/ILSR MS-7060
661FX+964 661FM2-ILSR MS-7060
661FX+964 661FM3-L MS-7082
661FX+964 661FM3-IL MS-7082

I assumed yours was 661FX/GX+964/L.

HTH.

--
Dave

From: Will Gortoa on
In article <enghme$i81$1(a)aioe.org>, Daave
<dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid>

>"Will Gortoa" <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:ZnmiwHCFk4mFFwel(a)nospam.demon.co.uk...
>> Daave <dcwashNOSPAM(a)myrealboxXYZ.invalid>

>>>Try:
>>>
>>>http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID
>>>=763&kind=1
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> But are you sure this one would be okay? Only, while surfing around
>> various sites, I noticed that that 661FX and 661GX and 661FX/GX
>> 'appeared' to be different. All this confuses the hell out of me! :)
>
>I used this site for information:
>
>http://www.msi.com.tw/html/products/mainboard/mb_htm/mb_Intel_comparison
>_list.htm
>

>SiS Chipset Marketing Name Model Name
>661FX 655 Max-FISR MS-6730
>661FX+963 661FM-IL MS-6540G
>661FX+963L 661FM-L MS-6540G
>661FX/GX+964/L 661FM3-V (PCB 2.0) MS-7103v2.0
>661FX+964 661FM3-V MS-7103
>661FX+964 661FM2-V LSR/ILSR MS-7060
>661FX+964 661FM2-ILSR MS-7060
>661FX+964 661FM3-L MS-7082
>661FX+964 661FM3-IL MS-7082
>
>I assumed yours was 661FX/GX+964/L.
>
>HTH.

Hmmm... Still saying it can't find the component when I attempt the
install. Weird.

--
Will Gortoa

Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader

[IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]
From: Shep� on
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:13:39 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
sent this :

>>Note:This may cure your USB problems and also enable full DMA mode on
>>your drives.
>
>Unfortunately, it didn't. So any further suggestions welcomed.
>
>Ahem... And DMA mode?... {Shrug}
>
>>HTH :)
>
>We're certainly getting there.
>
>--
>Will Gortoa
>
>Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
>HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader
>
>[IMPORTANT! Replace nospam with ollis for personal replies. THANKS. :)]

Have you installed the WinXP updated mother board driver's pack?
Either from the motherboard maker's site or the motherboard chop set
site e.g Via/SIS/Nvidia.

To check DMA mode download the free NeroInfoTool,
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

can be run from inside the .zip file and check configuration tab.ALL
drives should have DMA enabled.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: Will Gortoa on
In article <voaop259jmhqig0d5g9j9uv56emhd2ebc2(a)4ax.com>, Shep�
<nospam(a)nospam.com>

>On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:13:39 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
>Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>sent this :
>

>>>Note:This may cure your USB problems and also enable full DMA mode on
>>>your drives.
>>
>>Unfortunately, it didn't. So any further suggestions welcomed.
>>
>>Ahem... And DMA mode?... {Shrug}
>
>Have you installed the WinXP updated mother board driver's pack?
>Either from the motherboard maker's site or the motherboard chop set
>site e.g Via/SIS/Nvidia.

Well, this relates to the other problem I mentioned in this thread. [Did
you get my e-mail?] Only, as suggested, I got Everest to give me a
system summary and it says for the chip set:

Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX

The link in Everest then takes me to the SiS website. But, presumably,
I'm not downloading the correct component. If, and I can't actually see
an alternative, I download this one:

http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php?id=155933

I get an error message when I try to install which says:

"This system cannot detect the device. Please confirm the device is
configured properly and then restart the set-up program."

>To check DMA mode download the free NeroInfoTool,
>http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html

Done.

>can be run from inside the .zip file and check configuration tab.ALL
>drives should have DMA enabled.

All drives?

There are two separate tree components:

The first containing the Primary IDE Channel, split into two: Master and
Slave - both have 'DMA on'.

Then we have a separate USB Controller with two more in that extended
tree, both called: USB Card Reader USB Device. No mention of DMA in
these.

--

[IMPORTANT! For personal replies send to: w98 at ollis.demon.co.uk THANKS. :)]
From: Shep� on
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:54:23 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
sent this :

>Well, this relates to the other problem I mentioned in this thread. [Did
>you get my e-mail?] Only, as suggested, I got Everest to give me a
>system summary and it says for the chip set:
>
>Motherboard Chipset: SiS661FX/GX
>
>The link in Everest then takes me to the SiS website. But, presumably,
>I'm not downloading the correct component. If, and I can't actually see
>an alternative, I download this one:
>
>http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php?id=155933
>
>I get an error message when I try to install which says:
>
>"This system cannot detect the device. Please confirm the device is
>configured properly and then restart the set-up program."

I think those are for on board graphics,

>>To check DMA mode download the free NeroInfoTool,
>>http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=download.html
>
>Done.
>
>>can be run from inside the .zip file and check configuration tab.ALL
>>drives should have DMA enabled.
>
>All drives?
>
>There are two separate tree components:
>
>The first containing the Primary IDE Channel, split into two: Master and
>Slave - both have 'DMA on'.
>
>Then we have a separate USB Controller with two more in that extended
>tree, both called: USB Card Reader USB Device. No mention of DMA in
>these.

Ignore the USB.Just the hard drive/s and CD/DVD drives want to be in
UDMA.

Have you had a usb device on the system like a camera etc that may
have left an old USB entry because the software has not been
re-installed?

Also,

http://www.usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

--