From: Will Gortoa on
In article <vccrp2lpkr163lsirmlcmjhhprr8h1emm5(a)4ax.com>, Shep�
<nospam(a)nospam.com>

>On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:44:24 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
>Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>sent this :
>

>>Following up my own post on this part:
>>
>>In article <JZjGvKBUHWnFFwXE(a)nospam.demon.co.uk>, Will Gortoa
>><|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>>
>>>And/or...

>>>SiS USB Registry Patch (Windows XP)
>>>
>>>Fixes the undetectable problem with SiS USB controller on Windows XP.
>>>Release patch file for the USB devices sometimes undetectable issue on
>>>Windows� XP with SiS USB controllers.
>>>
>>>That looks like the puppy, you think? Just one problem... I can't get
>>>the associated link to work!
>>
>>I googled and found another working link of the same item. Everything
>>looks fine now - no yellow exclamation marks!
>>
>>And, Everest now reports the following under peripherals:
>>
>>Peripherals:
>> USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB
>>Open Host Controller
>> USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB
>>Open Host Controller
>> USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB
>>Open Host Controller
>> USB2 Controller SiS 7002 USB 2.0
>>Enhanced Host Controller
>> USB Device USB Mass Storage
>>Device
>> USB Device USB Optical
>>WheelMouse
>>

>Not unless you have an entry for an,"Enhanced" usb controller.

Under USB controllers I have 9 entries, including one called: SiS PCI to
USB Enhanced Host Controller.

>In the Device Manager/Right click on the Computer icon and ,"Scan for
>Hardware Changes".

It didn't work as described, but I found the icon within Device Manager.
After 'scanning', it didn't produce a result.

>You may need winXP CD or SP2 if it asks for a drivers disk.

It didn't. As above.

>Also refer back to USB man and re-check usb 2.00 info.

USB 'man'?

>Does your mother board support USB 2.00? and if so is it enabled in
>the BIOS if required?

It definitely supported it under the W98SE configuration. [The computer
is only just over a year old - at the time, I chose to have W98SE
installed in lieu of XP. So the overall specifications are actually
quite good. I you like, it was an XP machine running W98SE.]

How do I check the BIOS setting, if you still think that's necessary.

--
Will Gortoa

Running: OS W98SE/2.9GHZ processor/512Mb memory/40GB hard drive/Demon
HomeOffice broadband through NAT router/Turnpike 6.05S mail-news reader

[IMPORTANT! For personal replies send to: w98 at ollis.demon.co.uk THANKS. :)]
From: Shep� on
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:36:43 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
sent this :

>Under USB controllers I have 9 entries, including one called: SiS PCI to
>USB Enhanced Host Controller.

All seems well then.Ignore all other things unless you are having any
other problems :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: Will Gortoa on
In article <glvsp2h269v9atn4ku50jjfegd2jkihbim(a)4ax.com>, Shep�
<nospam(a)nospam.com>

>On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:36:43 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
>Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>sent this :
>
>>Under USB controllers I have 9 entries, including one called: SiS PCI to
>>USB Enhanced Host Controller.
>
>All seems well then.Ignore all other things unless you are having any
>other problems :)

Thanks for the confirmation Shep. :)

Although not having any problems might be tempting fate!

Actually... One problem I know of... The replacement product key allowed
me to install SP2, but I now get the same error if I try and use Windoze
Update! Is it possible to do anything about that? : 7

From: Shep� on
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:58:49 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
sent this :

>In article <glvsp2h269v9atn4ku50jjfegd2jkihbim(a)4ax.com>, Shep�
><nospam(a)nospam.com>
>
>>On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:36:43 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
>>Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>sent this :
>>
>>>Under USB controllers I have 9 entries, including one called: SiS PCI to
>>>USB Enhanced Host Controller.
>>
>>All seems well then.Ignore all other things unless you are having any
>>other problems :)
>
>Thanks for the confirmation Shep. :)
>
>Although not having any problems might be tempting fate!
>
>Actually... One problem I know of... The replacement product key allowed
>me to install SP2, but I now get the same error if I try and use Windoze
>Update! Is it possible to do anything about that? : 7

Yes.Don't bother with the updates.Switch it off and just keep your
Anti-virus and anti spyware up-tp-date.
You may like SafeXP as well,
http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

--
Free Windows/PC help,
From: Will Gortoa on
In article <okqtp25fop72211i76fidu2tg8vbdahtff(a)4ax.com>, Shep�
<nospam(a)nospam.com>

>On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:58:49 +0000 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
>Yang then Will Gortoa <|||TheHipBlueBirdHouse|||@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>sent this :
>>
>>Actually... One problem I know of... The replacement product key allowed
>>me to install SP2, but I now get the same error if I try and use Windoze
>>Update! Is it possible to do anything about that? : 7
>
>Yes.Don't bother with the updates.

LOL! : D

>Switch it off and just keep your Anti-virus and anti spyware
>up-tp-date.

Right you are. [All things I've learned/use from hanging around in here
over the years too. :)]

>You may like SafeXP as well,
>http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

That looks like a nifty little program, I'll give it a try.
[Particularly as those warning bubbles - somewhat ironically telling me
I've turned off Windoze Update! % } - periodically pop up just to
irritate!]

Have you got any particularly strong opinions relative to the components
that are referred to - I mean, some of them are obvious, but many sound
quite technical and otherwise don't make a great deal of sense to the
less initiated.