From: Colin Trunt on
Problems with DDR memory

Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
All running well for many years.
Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200

I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first two
(of 4) slots.
However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average (variable)

So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours

So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.

It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
hours
so not long enough to be conclusive.

Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to be
high
density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name 128M64K-40C
suggests it is arranged as high density.

However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a 256m
low
density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'

This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name 128M64K-40C
Serial Number 040413C3h
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings:
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Features:
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Anyway it is all rather confusing.

Some questions which occur are

1) Why does the above stick beep in slot one yet run fine (so far) in slot
2?
I though I put it in slot one OK, however it is possible slot 1 is 'dirty'.

I posted a long rambling thread about it here
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149949.html

Not getting any replies now, not surprising is it is so long and complicated
and involved
so I though I would try again here and try to summarise it a bit more
concisely.

I guess I will have to keep investigating and adding info until I can narrow
the problem
down more, even I am getting confused, I have 3 lots of memoryy from
different manufacturers - lol. I don't think it should matter who makes it,
however it seems a complex issue.

Also this may be related to my earlier thread here
"Sstem idle but CPU usage is high!!"

From: Colin Trunt on

"Colin Trunt" <colin(a)trunt.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> 1) Why does the above stick beep in slot one yet run fine (so far) in slot
> 2?
> I though I put it in slot one OK, however it is possible slot 1 is
> 'dirty'.
>
> I posted a long rambling thread about it here
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic149949.html
>
> Not getting any replies now, not surprising is it is so long and
> complicated and involved
> so I though I would try again here and try to summarise it a bit more
> concisely.
>
> I guess I will have to keep investigating and adding info until I can
> narrow the problem
> down more, even I am getting confused, I have 3 lots of memoryy from
> different manufacturers - lol. I don't think it should matter who makes
> it, however it seems a complex issue.
>
> Also this may be related to my earlier thread here

OK I am jus going to stick down some info on the modules
for my own reference as much s anything else.

The 256meg module whihc came with the PC is:-

Infineon
It is labled one the module
HYS64D32300HU-5-C
This is the data sheet
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/79637/INFINEON/HYS64D32300HU-5-C.html

The 8 chips on one side only are inscribed:-
hyb25d256800ce-5This ia data sheet
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf

That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:

HYUIX 610AA A
HY5DU12822CPT 043
Kor

Hard to find info on thus.
The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.

The last one the new 1 gig I got is

Simmtronics

64X8DDR P

From: Paul on
Colin Trunt wrote:
> [...]
>> "Sstem idle but CPU usage is high!!"
>>

> OK I am jus going to stick down some info on the modules
> for my own reference as much s anything else.
>
> The 256meg module whihc came with the PC is:-
>
> Infineon
> It is labled one the module
> HYS64D32300HU-5-C
> This is the data sheet
> http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/view/79637/INFINEON/HYS64D32300HU-5-C.html
>
> The 8 chips on one side only are inscribed:-
> hyb25d256800ce-5This ia data sheet
> http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf
>
> That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:
>
> HYUIX 610AA A
> HY5DU12822CPT 043
> Kor
>
> Hard to find info on thus.
> The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.

HY5DU12822CPT takes me here.

http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/consumer/details/consumer_02_HY5DU12822CTP.jsp?menu1=01&menu2=07&menu3=02&menuNo=1&m=7&s=2

"HY5DU12822C(L)TP-x*I 64Mx8"

The important thing there, is the "8" digit indicates the
width of the chip and 8 is good (low density). If the chip
was HY5DU124... that would be a four bit wide chip (nibble wide),
and that would be a high density chip.

Paul
From: Colin Trunt on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/infineon/1-DS_256M_D11_rev1.11.pdf
>>
>> That one seems OK the problemic one regaarding it may be high density is:
>>
>> HYUIX 610AA A
>> HY5DU12822CPT 043
>> Kor
>>
>> Hard to find info on thus.
>> The 128 in the description suggests it is high density.
>>

>> The last one the new 1 gig I got is
>>
>> Simmtronics
>>
>> 64X8DDR P
>
> HY5DU12822CPT takes me here.
>
> http://www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/consumer/details/consumer_02_HY5DU12822CTP.jsp?menu1=01&menu2=07&menu3=02&menuNo=1&m=7&s=2
>
> "HY5DU12822C(L)TP-x*I 64Mx8"
>
> The important thing there, is the "8" digit indicates the
> width of the chip and 8 is good (low density). If the chip
> was HY5DU124... that would be a four bit wide chip (nibble wide),

Thanks for that thatis very helpful as it had confused me a lot.

It was this report from Everest which confused me.
--------[
SPD ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ DIMM2: 128M64K-40C ]

Memory Module Properties:
Module Name 128M64K-40C
Serial Number 040413C3h
Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4
banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us),
Self-Refresh

It was the module name which made me think it was high density 128M64K-40C
unfortunately I could not find anything useful with google to confirm but
your link is a great help!!

Anyway I have been running very smoothly for 10 hours with just that module
in my PC
so it seems fine.
The only percularity is that when I first tried it in slot one it gave
beeps, so I put it slot 2 instead
and I have had fine running from it.

I am going to try it in slot one again, it should work in there really.

I will also try the one which seems to cause reboots in slot 2 which seems
to be a 'good slot'.

Maybe both are good modules, I am hopinig so anyway, however id I get
reboots on slot 2 with the
other module (whihc I just bought) that looks pretty conclusive.

Incidently according to the motherboard manual my motherboard should take
either high
or low density modules as long as they are not mixed on a channel.
http://217.110.237.70/Manuals/7184-engl%20v1.x.pdf

It also seems to say it should not boot with just a module in slot 2,
however, it booted and
ran fine for me!!

From: Paul on
Colin Trunt wrote:

> It also seems to say it should not boot with just a module in slot 2,
> however, it booted and
> ran fine for me!!

That depends on the revision of processor. For processors before Revision E,
such as D0 or CG, the statement in the manual would be correct. For Revision
E (E3 or E6 are examples), then anything goes. You should be able to stick the
DIMM in any slot and have it work with Revision E. That is why I wanted you to
check the CPU revision, if you can find a utility to do it. CPUZ is available from
cpuid.com , but there are likely others that can identify the processor.

Paul