From: Homer on
I currently am running IE 6 however there are a number of sites that I go to
frequently that just don't function properly. I would like to upgrade to IE
8 but I had such problems with IE 7, especially regarding Outlook Express
that I'm concerned about installing IE 8. I've also read about problems with
IE 8 as well. Is there any justification for my concern?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Crosspost to IE General]

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In your newsreader:

Resources:

Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to IE7 [and/or
IE8]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

(only) is available via telephone (based on your locale) and has been
extended until 02 July 2010. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows
Vista in a non-domain environment.

=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

NB WinXP users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB Vista users: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When
you're prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select Run
as Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

NB WinXP users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go
to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB976325). If a Root Certificates
update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE's enhanced security.

NB Vista users=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then
check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security updates
offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Homer on
Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700.
When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.

From: Alan Edwards on
Try the link again.
It worked for me just now.

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0800, in
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer

From: Homer on
I just tried it again. It said it could find the page.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Try the link again.
> It worked for me just now.
>
> ....Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:50:01 -0800, in
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, Homer
> <Homer(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the quick response. I've followed your instructions and IE8
> >appears to be working OK. However, should I have a problem, and I would want
> >to unistall, I wasn't able to get the article you suggested:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >When I clicked on the link, I received a message that it was not available.
> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: ToolBars