From: Erland Sommarskog on
JimLad (jamesdbirch(a)yahoo.co.uk) writes:
> However, if I set up a linked server using Jet, it works fine. It is
> set to 'Connection will be made without a security context.'
> Is it possible to make OPENROWSET behave in the same way?
> Is there any way to see the connection string that the linked server
> is actually using, for instance using Profiler?

When you set up a linked server, you use sp_addlinkedserver to set up
the server as such, and the sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to set up the login
mapping.

But obviously for the login mapping to be mapping, there as to be
something on the other end. I don't know if you can to with dBase.
Or with Jet for that matter, but everything should go in the connection
string I guess.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: JimLad on
On 11 Jan, 23:15, Erland Sommarskog <esq...(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:
> JimLad (jamesdbi...(a)yahoo.co.uk) writes:
> > However, if I set up a linked server using Jet, it works fine. It is
> > set to 'Connection will be made without a security context.'
> > Is it possible to make OPENROWSET behave in the same way?
> > Is there any way to see the connection string that the linked server
> > is actually using, for instance using Profiler?
>
> When you set up a linked server, you use sp_addlinkedserver to set up
> the server as such, and the sp_addlinkedsrvlogin to set up the login
> mapping.
>
> But obviously for the login mapping to be mapping, there as to be
> something on the other end. I don't know if you can to with dBase.
> Or with Jet for that matter, but everything should go in the connection
> string I guess.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...(a)sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

Thanks Erland.

I've given up. I've asked the team who needed this to move their dBase
files to a share on the SQL server.

James
From: Erland Sommarskog on
JimLad (jamesdbirch(a)yahoo.co.uk) writes:
> I've given up. I've asked the team who needed this to move their dBase
> files to a share on the SQL server.

Probably a wise move. :-)

Links for SQL Server Books Online: