From: aletandilero on
Hello...

I'm in a project where I have to translate a program from User-RPL to
Java language. The program is spread into 210 txt files. To try to
understand it, I'm using a program named HPUserEdit.

The thing is that the files have some headers, which turn into a
syntax error when run on the emulator. Some of them have this header:

// HP 48 Program Development Link Application
//
/Angle Degrees
/FractionMark .
/InstallDir
/AutoExec
//
/Var PRE

The // lines seem to be comments, so I think I may remove them safely.
But the others, which seem to be directives, I think I have to replace
them for something, but I don't know for what. Also I wanted to know
if they would mess up when any of these "little programs" calls
another.

The other header flavor I've come across was:

%%HP: T(3)A(G)F(,);

This one I have no clue what it might do, but removing it worked just
fine.

Also, there are special characters like \->, \>=, \010, \Ga...

Some I understood, like the first two of them. The other two I don't
know.

I've been stuck with this for a while, so if someone would help me
with it, I'd appreciate it much.

Thanks in advance.

From: James M. Prange on
aletandilero(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I'm in a project where I have to translate a program from User-RPL to
> Java language. The program is spread into 210 txt files. To try to
> understand it, I'm using a program named HPUserEdit.

That should be okay, but, personally, I find it easiest to just
use my favourite text editor; even MS Notepad would suffice.

> The thing is that the files have some headers, which turn into a
> syntax error when run on the emulator. Some of them have this header:
>
> // HP 48 Program Development Link Application
> //
> /Angle Degrees
> /FractionMark .
> /InstallDir
> /AutoExec
> //
> /Var PRE
>
> The // lines seem to be comments, so I think I may remove them safely.
> But the others, which seem to be directives, I think I have to replace
> them for something, but I don't know for what. Also I wanted to know
> if they would mess up when any of these "little programs" calls
> another.

Apparently those were written with the "PDL" (HP 48 Program
Development Link). It's been a long time since I've used it, but a
demo version is available at
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3730 Maybe that will help.
What may well be even more helpful could be the "Program
Development Link Translator", available at:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3822

> The other header flavor I've come across was:
>
> %%HP: T(3)A(G)F(,);
>
> This one I have no clue what it might do, but removing it worked just
> fine.

Sometimes removing it will work just fine, but sometimes it won't.
Try a search of the Google archive of this newsgroup; maybe
something like:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=ASCII+transfer+header&as_ugroup=comp.sys.hp48

> Also, there are special characters like \->, \>=, \010, \Ga...
>
> Some I understood, like the first two of them. The other two I don't
> know.

Again, you could try a search of the Google Archive of this
newsgroup, using search terms such as "translation codes" or
"digraph". Perhaps easiest would be a look at:
http://holyjoe.net/hp/tiotable.png

> I've been stuck with this for a while, so if someone would help me
> with it, I'd appreciate it much.

You've asked at the right place; if you still have questions, then
ask again.

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome in advance.

--
Regards,
James

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:42:32 -0500:

> I'm in a project where I have to translate a program
> from User-RPL to Java language.

That's like Martian -> Klingon ;-)

> The program is spread into 210 txt files.

Only 210? One program?

> To try to understand it, I'm using a program named HPUserEdit.

Is it compatible with the original PDL?

> The thing is that the files have some headers,
> which turn into a syntax error when run on the emulator.

Just how do you "run on the emulator"?

> Some of them have this header:
>
> // HP 48 Program Development Link Application

Unless you have the PDL (and a real calc) now,
it would appear necessary to strip out any such
stuff added by PDL, which isn't digestible
by other programming tools.

> %%HP: T(3)A(G)F(,);
> Also, there are special characters like \->, \>=, \010, \Ga...

Both explained in:

"Ascii \xx symbols and %%HP headers"
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/52e9cc3ee2b369b8

Calc <-> PC transfer software is supposed to take care of interpreting
those headers and translating the "backslash codes" (digraphs);
any package meant to interface with an emulator
should also handle these particular details.

You can also, if you want, either drag text files directly
to the emulator window or "paste" Windows clipboard text
to the emulator stack, and then apply text import/export
programs which can reside within the emulated calc itself,
as recently suggested here:

"Transfering User RPL programs..."
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/3ed1cea3ec70bab4

[r->] [OFF]