From: Jim Trigg on
I've been having problems with GNU Screen on FreeBSD 8.x. First, the
TERMCAP environment variable as automatically set by screen causes
things not to work. (vi says "cannot open terminal database", mutt
says "no terminal database", etc.) Second, when I put `eval tset -s`
in .bashrc to reset the TERMCAP, curses-based programs work from
command lines in open windows but don't work through "screen
{command}" to launch them in a separate window -- the window flashes
open and back closed. /usr/local/bin/bash is my login shell. This
all still works in FreeBSD 7.

Any suggestions?

From: Alex Kozlov on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:23:41PM -0400, Jim Trigg wrote:
> I've been having problems with GNU Screen on FreeBSD 8.x. First, the
> TERMCAP environment variable as automatically set by screen causes
> things not to work. (vi says "cannot open terminal database", mutt
> says "no terminal database", etc.) Second, when I put `eval tset -s`
> in .bashrc to reset the TERMCAP, curses-based programs work from
> command lines in open windows but don't work through "screen
> {command}" to launch them in a separate window -- the window flashes
> open and back closed. /usr/local/bin/bash is my login shell. This
> all still works in FreeBSD 7.
>
> Any suggestions?
echo 'unset TERMCAP' >>~/.profile
And try tmux.

--
Adios

From: "Scott Sanbeg" on
/etc/termcap is symlinked to /usr/share/misc/termcap, which if not available
during your session (singer-user mode, for instance), produces that exact
type of error message. Test if the termcap db is actually available.

Hope it helps,
Scott

From: Jim Trigg on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:29 PM, David Wolfskill <david(a)catwhisker.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:23:41PM -0400, Jim Trigg wrote:
>> I've been having problems with GNU Screen on FreeBSD 8.x.  First, the
>> TERMCAP environment variable as automatically set by screen causes
>> things not to work. (vi says "cannot open terminal database", mutt
>> says "no terminal database", etc.)  Second, when I put `eval tset -s`
>> in .bashrc to reset the TERMCAP, curses-based programs work from
>> command lines in open windows but don't work through "screen
>> {command}" to launch them in a separate window -- the window flashes
>> open and back closed.  /usr/local/bin/bash is my login shell.  This
>> all still works in FreeBSD 7.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Is screen built under 8.x or 7.x?

8.x. (I have one server running 7.x and another running 8.x.)

Also, to the other responder, "unset TERMCAP" in ~/.profile gives the
same behavior as "eval `tset -s`".

Thanks,
Jim

From: Jim Trigg on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Scott Sanbeg <ssanbeg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> /etc/termcap is symlinked to /usr/share/misc/termcap, which if not available
> during your session (singer-user mode, for instance), produces that exact
> type of error message. Test if the termcap db is actually available.

It is; further, I will observe that unsetting the TERMCAP environment
variable makes it work in an interactive shell window, but when I use
the "screen {command}" functionality it fails (and I can't get logging
to work to find out what error I'm actually getting; the window closes
too fast for me to see the error).

Thanks,
Jim