From: I. Kinal on
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade a single server installation from WSS 2.0 SP2 to WSS
3.0 . I am getting an error in the configuration wizard when it reaches step
5. Here is the detailed information from the log:

12/11/2006 14:50:08 10 ERR Task services has
failed with an unknown exception
12/11/2006 14:50:08 10 ERR Exception:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered

at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.MSSITLB.IProjects.Add(String
bstrName, String bstrPath)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.GathererProject.ProvisionGathererProject()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.PrimaryGathererProject.ProvisionGathererProject()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.GathererProject.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPPrimaryGathererProject.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.GathererApplication.ProvisionGathererProjects()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.GathererApplication.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Synchronize(Boolean installGathererApplication)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchServiceInstance.Provision()
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstanceInConfigDB(Boolean
provisionTheServiceInstanceToo, String serviceInstanceRegistryKeyName, Object
sharepointServiceObject)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInstances(Boolean
provisionTheServiceInstancesToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName, Object
sharepointServiceObject)
at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.Run()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Any help resolving this problem is appreciated!

Thanks,
I. Kinal
From: "Ada Pan [MSFT]" on

Hello I. Kinal,

Based on the error message, I recommend you first disable the SharePoint
search service and try to upgrade again.

Also, please also reference the following articles included in "Perform
pre-upgrade steps" section before you perform the upgrade:

Perform pre-upgrade steps
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/0aa86bfa-4752-48eb-a33c-0
44eace74fb81033.mspx

Then, you can try the steps in the following articles to perform an
in-place upgrade or a gradual upgrade:

Perform an in-place upgrade
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/8e323282-f53e-41df-b2d0-f
72a558521ca1033.mspx

Perform a gradual upgrade
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/ad2884fd-beee-42e9-9b42-1
f2a2b8b06191033.mspx

Here is an article providing some known issues during the upgrade process.

Troubleshoot and resume upgrade (Windows SharePoint Services)
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us/library/32a18803-52d2-4967-ab9d-0
e199c9bf0041033.mspx?mfr=true

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support
From: I. Kinal on
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

As far as I know, there is no Sharepoint search service in WSS 2.0 - am I
incorrect?

I had already read over the articles that you referenced.

Thanks,
I. Kinal

From: "Ada Pan [MSFT]" on
Hello I. Kinal,

Your understanding is correct that there is no SharePoint Search Service in
WSS 2.0. The search service I mentioned is actually referred to MS Search
Service if you have enabled Full-Search in SQL Server. I am sorry for not
clarifying it clearly.

In addition, please help to collect the following information for further
research.

#1. Please provide us the whole log files to your reply or send it to :<
v-adapan(a)microsoft.com >.

#2. Please run the Regmon tool to collect the log and send the log to us.
To do this, please see the steps below:

1. Download and save the Regmon version for your operating system from the
following Web site:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml
- Download "Regmon (x86- 72 KB) - you plan on using Regmon on Win9x" if
you plan to use Regmon on Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition
- Download "Regmon (x86 - 72 KB) - you plan on using Regmon on
WinNT/2K/XP/2K3" if you plan to use Regmon on Windows 2000, Windows XP, or
Windows Server 2003.

2. Go to the folder where you saved the package and extract the package
contents by using a compression utility such as Winzip. You can obtain the
Winzip utility from http://www.Winzip.com.

3. After the files have been extracted, double-click "regmon.exe".

4. In the "Regmon Filter" window, make sure that the value in the "Include"
box is "*".

5. Click "OK". A trace will start to run.

6. Start the upgrade.

7. As soon as you experience the error, switch to Regmon, and then click
the microscope icon in the toolbar to stop the capture.

8. Click "File", click "Save", and then save the file as "RegmonLog"
(without the quotation marks) on the desktop.

#3. What is the WSS environment on your side? For example, you install WSS
2.0 on a true machine running Windows Server 2003 and use SQL Server 2004
as the background DB.

#4. Please also refer to the following steps to gather the MPS Report from
the computer experiencing this issue.

a. Visit the following link to download the file:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

b. Run the MPSRPT_SETUPPERF.EXE on the computer box.

c. Wait for 10~15 minutes.

d. Open Windows explorer, navigate to
%SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab\

e. Send the .cab file directly to us.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

From: I. Kinal on
Hi,

I sent all of the information you requested to the e-mail address that you
provided.

Thanks,
I. Kinal