From: Mateusz_madi on
When i'am using ps aux command i got in one of the columns the actual
satus of a process, it is obvious that S-sleep, T-stopped, R-running
but i couldn't find answer what states:
Sl
Ss
Ss+
R+
SlL
Ssl
SNl
or s<Sl means??

Madi
From: John Gordon on
In <d65270ab-91ca-469f-b184-28394daa1945(a)i31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com> Mateusz_madi <madi.czadi(a)gmail.com> writes:

> When i'am using ps aux command i got in one of the columns the actual
> satus of a process, it is obvious that S-sleep, T-stopped, R-running
> but i couldn't find answer what states:
> Sl
> Ss
> Ss+
> R+
> SlL
> Ssl
> SNl
> or s<Sl means??

From the ps manual page (on my system; yours may be different):

state The state is given by a sequence of letters, for example,
``RWNA''. The first letter indicates the run state of the
process:

D Marks a process in disk (or other short term, uninter-
ruptible) wait.
I Marks a process that is idle (sleeping for longer than
about 20 seconds).
O Marks a process running on a processor.
R Marks a runnable process, or one that is in the process
of creation.
S Marks a process that is sleeping for less than about 20
seconds.
T Marks a stopped process.
U Marks a suspended process.
Z Marks a dead process (a ``zombie'').

Additional characters after these, if any, indicate additional
state information:

+ The process is in the foreground process group of its
control terminal.
- The LWP is detached (can't be waited for).
< The process has raised CPU scheduling priority.
a The process is using scheduler activations.
E The process is trying to exit.
K The process is a kernel thread or system process.
L The process has pages locked in core (for example, for
raw I/O).
l The process has multiple LWPs.
N The process has reduced CPU scheduling priority (see
setpriority(2)).
s The process is a session leader.
V The process is suspended during a vfork(2).
W The process is swapped out.
X The process is being traced or debugged.

Whenever you want to know more about a command, try the manual page.
This is accessed by typing "man <command>", in this case "man ps".

gordon(a)panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

From: Mateusz_madi on
My fault, tahnks>>
From: safety on
Taken from the man page:

state The state is given by a sequence of characters, for example,
``RWNA''. The
first character indicates the run state of the process:

I Marks a process that is idle (sleeping for
longer than about 20
seconds).
R Marks a runnable process.
S Marks a process that is sleeping for less than
about 20 seconds.
T Marks a stopped process.
U Marks a process in uninterruptible wait.
Z Marks a dead process (a ``zombie'').

Additional characters after these, if any, indicate
additional state infor-
mation:

+ The process is in the foreground process group
of its control ter-
minal.
< The process has raised CPU scheduling priority.
> The process has specified a soft limit on memory
requirements and
is currently exceeding that limit; such a
process is (necessarily)
not swapped.
A the process has asked for random page
replacement (VA_ANOM, from
vadvise(2), for example, lisp(1) in a garbage collect).
E The process is trying to exit.
L The process has pages locked in core (for
example, for raw I/O).
N The process has reduced CPU scheduling priority (see
setpriority(2)).
S The process has asked for FIFO page replacement
(VA_SEQL, from
vadvise(2), for example, a large image
processing program using
virtual memory to sequentially address voluminous data).

On 2010-05-25 16:06:22 -0400, Mateusz_madi said:

> When i'am using ps aux command i got in one of the columns the actual
> satus of a process, it is obvious that S-sleep, T-stopped, R-running
> but i couldn't find answer what states:
> Sl
> Ss
> Ss+