From: Charles Richmond on
Morten Reistad wrote:
> In article <m3ljfhzfjv.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote:
>> On 01/28/10 20:16, Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>>> Lynn: can you expand on this? "Shared Variable" sounds like it is
>>> relevant to parallelism or concurrency; system services sounds like
>>> syscalls. Abominations sounds bad, but makes me curious.
>>>
>>> I assume "ape" = A Programming Language. Iverson? Vectors? +/array?
>> note ... i see the above in email and in google ... but it hasn't shown
>> up at my usenet server ... there seems to be some connectivity problem
>> with usenet "gateways" .... ibm-main mailing list usenet gateway
>> recently has had several things go totally missing; ... in any case.
>
> I have a slightly different problem; I see the replies to posts
> by you, and several others, a day or so before I see the post.
>
> And I get my own posts from around 3 weeks back reinjected into
> the news stream somewhere.

Do you ever get the feeling that you have read this post before???

Do you ever get the feeling that you have read this post before???

Do you ever get the feeling that you have read this post before???

:-)

| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |
From: Morten Reistad on
In article <hjvt74$8c5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>Morten Reistad wrote:
>> In article <m3ljfhzfjv.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
>> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote:
>>> On 01/28/10 20:16, Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:

>> I have a slightly different problem; I see the replies to posts
>> by you, and several others, a day or so before I see the post.
>>
>> And I get my own posts from around 3 weeks back reinjected into
>> the news stream somewhere.
>>

>Things must be frozen up in Norway this time of year;-)

The worst frost seems to be over.

But this thing is specific to posts from people on the west
coast, it more or less happens with all of Eugene Miya's posts.
It happens with around 1 in 5 of the Wheeler posts.

I get those around 36 hours late, but I can get replies to them
within seconds. I get Rick and Barb's posts within seconds.

I have two ISPs, one personal and one corporate (mostly for
tax reasons, but also for redundancy) and use both their newsfeeds;
plus a newsguy and a dfn read-only feed. The ISPs lose around
1 in 10 posts with stunning regularity. They lose the same posts.

Newsguy fills in around 7 of 10 of the lost ones, and dfn another
two. I still think I lose around 1 of 100 postings though.

Many of the delayed ones show up through dfn first.

-- mrr

From: jmfbahciv on
Morten Reistad wrote:
> In article <hjvt74$8c5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Peter Flass <Peter_Flass(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Morten Reistad wrote:
>
>>> I have a slightly different problem; I see the replies to posts
>>> by you, and several others, a day or so before I see the post.
>>>
>>> And I get my own posts from around 3 weeks back reinjected into
>>> the news stream somewhere.
>>>
>> Things must be frozen up in Norway this time of year;-)
>
> The worst frost seems to be over.
>
> But this thing is specific to posts from people on the west
> coast, it more or less happens with all of Eugene Miya's posts.
> It happens with around 1 in 5 of the Wheeler posts.
>
> I get those around 36 hours late, but I can get replies to them
> within seconds. I get Rick and Barb's posts within seconds.
>
> I have two ISPs, one personal and one corporate (mostly for
> tax reasons, but also for redundancy) and use both their newsfeeds;
> plus a newsguy and a dfn read-only feed. The ISPs lose around
> 1 in 10 posts with stunning regularity. They lose the same posts.

I use newsguy so that may be why you can get mine without delays.

> Newsguy fills in around 7 of 10 of the lost ones, and dfn another
> two. I still think I lose around 1 of 100 postings though.
>
> Many of the delayed ones show up through dfn first.

/BAH
From: Michael Wojcik on
EricP wrote:
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>> EricP <ThatWouldBeTelling(a)thevillage.com> writes:
>>> I can't say about it running System/370 but it was out of
>>> the lab, though perhaps not an "announced product", because
>>> IPSA had their APL up and running on PC/370 in the early 1980's.
>>> I wasn't involved so can't provide details of the port.
>>
>> the ibm 5100 PC ... 1975 precusor to 5150 pc ... did 370 emulation for
>> running port of apl\360.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5100
>>
>> above mentions 5100 pc use a simplified version of 370 apl.sv
>
> I believe it was called the XT/370 - a plug in card for the PC/XT
> with the pair of re-microcoded 68000's. It was a product in 1983.

No - Lynn's talking about the 5100 from 1975, long before the 5150
(the original IBM PC) was announced. Nothing to do with the PC XT/370.

The 5100 was a PALM-based machine that evolved from the SCAMP
prototype, and was intended as a small APL machine (though the
Wikipedia article says it also ran a BASIC interpreter based on the
one for the System/3).

Another article about the 5100:

http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ibm-pc-5100.html

I remember a nice piece about the SCAMP in one of the PC magazines in
the '80s (might have been _PC Tech Journal_, based on what I vaguely
remember about the article layout), including some quotes from people
who played with it.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus
From: Scott Lurndal on
Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> writes:
>EricP wrote:
>> Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>>>
>>> the ibm 5100 PC ... 1975 precusor to 5150 pc ... did 370 emulation for
>>> running port of apl\360.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5100
>>>
>>> above mentions 5100 pc use a simplified version of 370 apl.sv
>>
>> I believe it was called the XT/370 - a plug in card for the PC/XT
>> with the pair of re-microcoded 68000's. It was a product in 1983.
>
>No - Lynn's talking about the 5100 from 1975, long before the 5150
>(the original IBM PC) was announced. Nothing to do with the PC XT/370.
>
>The 5100 was a PALM-based machine that evolved from the SCAMP
>prototype, and was intended as a small APL machine (though the
>Wikipedia article says it also ran a BASIC interpreter based on the
>one for the System/3).

An interesting box. Portable, for some definitions of portable.

As I recall, there was a switch on the front to switch from APL
mode to BASIC mode. I mainly used it for BASIC (circa 1979).

Gave all my docs to bitsavers.org.

scott