From: Mark S Bilk on
On Nov 26, 3:15 am, houghi <hou...(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> When I retrieve my mail with fetchmail or when I use `mail houghi` it
> looks as if the .procmailrc file is not being used.
>
> Is there anything I must do to so it will be working again?

In my system, the .fetchmailrc and .procmailrc files are in
my home account directory, and fetchmail calls procmail. Here
is .fetchmailrc. The second line is indented with two space
characters:

poll mail.server.name proto pop3
user "username" pass "password" fetchall limit 0 mda "procmail -f -"

mail.server.name, username, and password are substituted here
for the actual ones for my ISP, but the punctuation is as shown.
I run fetchmail as a user. fetchmail and procmail are both in
/usr/bin, which is on my personal PATH.

> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom.
> Don't ever count on having both at once.
>                        -- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for that!

Two videos of a great song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog&channel=muse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf8bKkXU_2s&feature=related

From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 26 Nov 2009 11:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> When I retrieve my mail with fetchmail or when I use `mail houghi` it
> looks as if the .procmailrc file is not being used.
>
> Is there anything I must do to so it will be working again?

You haven't corrupted ~/.forward have you? I couldn't get procmail
working without having .forward containing:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #davjam"

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | | openSUSE 11.2 32b
From: Mark S Bilk on
On Nov 26, 8:46 am, David Bolt <blacklist...(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> You haven't corrupted ~/.forward have you? I couldn't get procmail
> working without having .forward containing:
>
> "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #davjam"

So that's a totally different way of invoking procmail.
I must be backward -- I don't even have a .forward .

From: Paul J Gans on
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>When I retrieve my mail with fetchmail or when I use `mail houghi` it
>looks as if the .procmailrc file is not being used.

>Is there anything I must do to so it will be working again?

Yes. Please discuss this somewhere where the developers
of procmail can see it. They don't usually read this newsgroup.

Or perhaps you could file a bug report.

--
--- Paul J. Gans
From: David Bolt on
On Saturday 28 Nov 2009 12:28, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> Mark S Bilk wrote:

>> So that's a totally different way of invoking procmail.
>> I must be backward -- I don't even have a .forward .

I don't know why it didn't work for me without the .forward but, after
adding it, it's been working just fine and I'm loath to break things
just to see if I can get it working without it.

> I think I broke it. Now mail does not arrive anymore at all. Not even
> internal mail. I deinstalled postfix and tried sendmail and then back to
> postfix.

I've used Sendmail for years, starting with SuSE 6.1, and have no
knowledge about Postfix so can't help there. It's one of the thinks I
change when starting an installation, and I need to check the repair
system for 11.2 as the one for 11.1 explicitly wants to add Postfix
when doing an automatic repair rather than checking for the presence of
a mail server. Going to be adding a bug report for that if the issue is
still present.

> I also removed procmail to get stuff done seriously.
> Also to make it easier, I deleted the /var/log/mail* files.

Pity. They may have contained a possible pointer to what was broken.

> Now I can start postfix, but nothing else happens. Unable to send any
> internal mail, no logfiles created. Nothing.

Nothing at all? What happens if you telnet to your server? Do you see
the mailserver's banner? My first debugging tests are to telnet to the
server, firstly to check it's actually accepting connections, and then
to use the following:

ehlo localhost
mail from: <$USERNAME@$DOMAIN_NAME>
rcpt to: <$USERNAME@$DOMAIN_NAME>
data
From: <$USERNAME@$DOMAIN_NAME>
To: me <$USERNAME@$DOMAIN_NAME>
Subject: test

this will be the test mail body.
..
quit

I copy and paste it one line at a time, and have a console open with:

sudo tail -F /var/log/mail

running in it. The combination of seeing the log file and looking at
the responses to the various commands lets me see what's happening
and can help debugging.

Regards,
David Bolt