From: attraxion on
Hi All,

I'm a newbie. I am trying to create a program to extract some entries
from tables and load some others, using Pro*COBOL. The overall thing
seems to be all right, but on compiling I am getting a strange one I
never encountered before -

PCB-S-00400, Encountered the symbol "<end-of-source>" when expecting
one of the
following:

+ - * / . & id string integer floating-point literal EXTERNAL
GLOBAL REFERENCE PICTURE USAGE BINARY COMP COMPUTATIONAL
COMPUTATIONAL-4 ........ etc etc

I STFWed but there is no description of this error anywhere on google.
The error occurs at a place where I try to include a file containing
valid values in my program. The excerpt from the list file is as
follows -

132 01 SW00-FILE-I-STATUS SYNC PIC X(2)
133 *----------------------------------------------------
134 * COPY 'filestatus.va'
135 *----------------------------------------------------
136 88 FS-FILE-STATUS-OK
Error at line 137, column 29 in file extract_art_image.pco
137 VALUE IS "00".
137 ............................1
137 PCB-S-00400, Encountered the symbol "<end-of-source>" when
expecting one of the following:

+ - * / . & id string integer floating-point literal
EXTERNAL
GLOBAL REFERENCE PICTURE USAGE BINARY COMP COMPUTATIONAL
COMPUTATIONAL-4 COMP-1 COMP-2 COMP-3 COMP-4 COMP-5 COMP-X
INDEX PACKED-DECIMAL DISPLAY POINTER DISPLAY-1 REDEFINES
PROCEDURE-POINTER OCCURS SIGN LEADING TRAILING SYNCHRONIZED
JUSTIFIED BLANK VALUE VARYING THROUGH NEXT START LENGTH AND
ALL OR

138 88 FS-CREATED-DUPLICATE-ALT-KEY
139 VALUE IS "02".
140 88 FS-RECORD-NOT-SIZE-OF-BUFFER
141 VALUE IS "04".
142 88 FS-OPTIONAL-FILE-NOT-PRESENT
143 VALUE IS "05".

Can anyone give me some pointers on why this is happening? The valid
values file is working okay with other programs.

Thanks a lot in anticipation,
Best,
Attraxion.

From: Richard on

attraxion wrote:

> 132 01 SW00-FILE-I-STATUS SYNC PIC X(2)

If that was cut-and-paste then it is missing the full-stop.

From: attraxion on
Oh, that was simply a typo. The problem remains, the full stop is
present.

Thanks and regards,
Attraxion.

From: Richard on

attraxion wrote:

> Error at line 137, column 29 in file extract_art_image.pco
> 137 VALUE IS "00".
> 137 PCB-S-00400, Encountered the symbol "<end-of-source>" when
> expecting one of the following:
>
> + - * / . & id string integer floating-point literal

It seems quite clear about what it is trying to tell you. It seems to
think that column 29 of that line is an <end-of-source> character (is
29 after the full-stop?). On some systems this could be a Ctrt-Z
hex"1A". What does a hex editor say the character is ?

From: Richard on