From: David Walker on
I just bought a Windows XP Professional Upgrade at Best Buy. The box says
that it includes SP2.

Also it says, near the bottom of the front of the box: "Professional
Services Kit".

I searched both Google and Microsoft.Com for "Professional Services Kit"
and got no relevant hits telling me what it is. (Google's search showed a
few EBayers selling Win XP Home with this "kit".)

If Microsoft has something called a Professional Services Kit, shouldn't a
search (from the search box at www.Microsoft.Com) show some results?

Microsoft doesn't have ANY online documentation saying what this is!

The fact that I can't find this search term at MS's site is bizarre.

David Walker

From: Jupiter Jones [MVP] on
David;
Is that printed on the box or a label?
If a label, it it on the box or the cellophane?
I have not noticed that before.
Have you opened the box?
Is anything else included such another CD?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

From: DWalker on
"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter(a)hotnomail.com> wrote in

> David;
> Is that printed on the box or a label?
> If a label, it it on the box or the cellophane?
> I have not noticed that before.
> Have you opened the box?
> Is anything else included such another CD?

It is printed directly on the box, under the cellophane (which I have not
taken off yet).

I have not opened the box yet. There might be another CD in there.

The part number is X11-33581. This part number also isn't found in a
search of Microsoft.com, or Google.

The UPC code is 8 05529 98443 1.
From: DWalker on

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter(a)hotnomail.com> wrote in
>
>> David;
>> Is that printed on the box or a label?
>> If a label, it it on the box or the cellophane?
>> I have not noticed that before.
>> Have you opened the box?
>> Is anything else included such another CD?
>>

> It is printed directly on the box, under the cellophane (which I have
> not taken off yet).
>
> I have not opened the box yet. There might be another CD in there.
>
> The part number is X11-33581. This part number also isn't found in a
> search of Microsoft.com, or Google.
>
> The UPC code is 8 05529 98443 1.

I called Microsoft, and they didn't know either. They asked me to open
the box and see what was in it.

There's one Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD, which says "includes
service pack 2, version 2002" (Part number X10-52219), plus three
booklets - "start here", "discover", and "explore".

The "discover" booklet is an ad for the Windows Marketplace site. The
"explore" booklet describes the Control Panel and has a few other tips
about the desktop. "start here" is a 30-page booklet with the basics of
installation and getting started.

The contents of the CD itself looks just like the last XP upgrade CD I
saw -- folders DOCS, DOTNETFX, I386, SUPPORT, and VALUEADD, with 7 other
files in the root. The files and folders are dated 2/28/2006 at 5:00
AM. The internal CD label is VX2PCCP_EN.

Oh yes, there's a yellow-orange sticker inside the box with a product
key.

I guess that "Professional Services Kit" printed on the front of the box
was just there to make me think I had bought a kit instead of the XP
upgrade, or something.

No other CD.

Odd.

David Walker
From: DL on
Sounds like the marketting people trying to make an 'expensive' large box
appear more than just a cd