From: Emil Dotchevski on
I was hoping that someone would tell me why my program isn't working.
Do I do something wrong? Did I miss something in the documentation? Is
this a bug in XP? (again, the code works on Vista/7)

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.
From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Do you want to terminate fully initialized processes? Then you won't have
the problem. I think it only occurs if the process is terminated before it's
fully initialized.

From: Hector Santos on
Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> I was hoping that someone would tell me why my program isn't working.
> Do I do something wrong? Did I miss something in the documentation? Is
> this a bug in XP? (again, the code works on Vista/7)
>
> Emil Dotchevski
> Reverge Studios, Inc.
> http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode

Rereading your original post, in general if you wanted more
parent/child control, then you need to use a direct SPAWN rather than
a SHELL.

CreateProcess(szProgram, NULL,,,, <-- SPAWN
CreateProcess(NULL, szProgram,,,, <-- SHELL

In a SHELL, you are actually running the COMSPEC and you may not have
to have complete control over the return code. In a SPAWN, it is
direct and you have better control over the return code.

In your case, you have a file with an INF extension, hence you have to
use a SHELL here to allow windows to do a file association.

That means you have a middle program and that would be the return
code, if any.

So that is the first thing to look at if you want better control of
spawned processes and obtaining a return value.

--
HLS
From: Stefan Kuhr on
Hector,

On 2/5/2010 5:45 AM, Hector Santos wrote:
> Emil Dotchevski wrote:
>
>> I was hoping that someone would tell me why my program isn't working.
>> Do I do something wrong? Did I miss something in the documentation? Is
>> this a bug in XP? (again, the code works on Vista/7)
>>
>> Emil Dotchevski
>> Reverge Studios, Inc.
>> http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode
>

> Rereading your original post, in general if you wanted more parent/child
> control, then you need to use a direct SPAWN rather than a SHELL.
>
> CreateProcess(szProgram, NULL,,,, <-- SPAWN
> CreateProcess(NULL, szProgram,,,, <-- SHELL
>
> In a SHELL, you are actually running the COMSPEC and you may not have to
> have complete control over the return code. In a SPAWN, it is direct and
> you have better control over the return code.

No, this has nothing to do with starting the child process under a shell
or not. The child process will be in both cases what you pass as
szProgram and will be a direct child process of the calling process (the
process that calls CreateProcess).

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
cite="mid:a6bb8a1b-4e84-4c68-a3f3-fe5cfec671ec(a)m27g2000prl.googlegroups.com"
type="cite">
isn't working.<br>
simply so determined to cling on to <a
href="http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html">your
chocolate-covered banana</a> that you're not even listening.&nbsp; M. "m"
hit the nail on the head with respect to the chocolate-covered banana,
too.<br>