From: Alex Kozlov on
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:33:46AM -0200, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using the patch below it is possible to make x11/nvidia-driver
> independent of misc/compat5x, by means of some library mapping. I did
> this successfuly on 6.x but still did not test on 7.x. I would like to
> hear some comments before submitting a PR with a change request.
I think this is more correct variant:

$cat /etc/libmap.conf
#nvidia-driver
[/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1]
libm.so.3 libm.so.4

[/usr/local/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1]
libc.so.5 libc.so.6

[/usr/local/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1]
libc.so.5 libc.so.6

[/usr/local/lib/libnvidia-cfg.so.1]
libm.so.3 libm.so.4

[/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so]
libm.so.3 libm.so.4
librpcsvc.so.2 librpcsvc.so.3

--
Adios
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:33:46 -0200
"Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using the patch below it is possible to make x11/nvidia-driver
> independent of misc/compat5x, by means of some library mapping. I did
> this successfuly on 6.x but still did not test on 7.x. I would like to
> hear some comments before submitting a PR with a change request.

Personally I'd rather keep misc/compat5x than have the hassle of
maintaining libmap.conf
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:33:46 -0500, Carlos A. M. dos Santos
<unixmania(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Using the patch below it is possible to make x11/nvidia-driver
> independent of misc/compat5x, by means of some library mapping. I did
> this successfuly on 6.x but still did not test on 7.x. I would like to
> hear some comments before submitting a PR with a change request.

I object, this is much worst than depend on misc/compat5x.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7(a)cox.net - mezz(a)FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team - FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 10:53:30PM -0200, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:

> > > [/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so]
> > > libm.so.3 libm.so.4
> > > librpcsvc.so.2 librpcsvc.so.3
> >
> > If I specify the full path the mapping does not work. The X server
> > still loades, but gives me the following message:
> >
> > dlopen: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found, required by "libwfb.so"
Sorry. I use nvidia-driver-96xx, so I was not be able to test libwfb case.

> ... so my patch now becomes the one provided below. Extract it piping
> this message to
>
> b64decode -o /dev/stdout | gzip -d > nvidia-driver.diff
>
> CC to the port maintainer now. I suppose that he subscribes the list
> but, well, just in case.
Also, I think that libmap trick is good for local hack, but must not be
applied by default in port. Print libmap suggestion from pre-everything
will be enough.

--
Adios
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 10:53:30PM -0200, Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On 10/27/07, Carlos A. M. dos Santos <unixmania(a)gmail.com> wrote:

What is the problem using compat5x in the first place?

> > > I think this is more correct variant:
> > >
> > > $cat /etc/libmap.conf
> > > #nvidia-driver
> > > [/usr/local/lib/libGL.so.1]
> > > libm.so.3 libm.so.4
> > >
> > > [/usr/local/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1]
> > > libc.so.5 libc.so.6
> > >
> > > [/usr/local/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1]
> > > libc.so.5 libc.so.6
> > >
> > > [/usr/local/lib/libnvidia-cfg.so.1]
> > > libm.so.3 libm.so.4
> >
> > Ah, I forgot that one. Good catch.
> >
> > > [/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so]
> > > libm.so.3 libm.so.4
> > > librpcsvc.so.2 librpcsvc.so.3

That's potentially unsafe to put next .so version of library when the
code expects previous one. It *may* work, but be prepared for all sorts
of incompatibilities and ABI breakage.

../danfe