From: Russ P. on
I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:

"Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
Thanks.
From: Russ P. on
On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, "Russ P." <russ.paie...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
> like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
> exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
> architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
> bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:
>
> "Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
> Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."
>
> Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
> so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
> Thanks.

Has anyone tried this?
From: Diez B. Roggisch on
Russ P. schrieb:
> I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
> like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
> exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
> architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
> bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:
>
> "Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
> Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."
>
> Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
> so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
> Thanks.

Isn't the SUN Ultra using an ULTRA-Sparc core? If so, the point is moot.

Diez
From: Russ P. on
On Nov 14, 10:15 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de...(a)nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Russ P. schrieb:
>
> > I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
> > like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
> > exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
> > architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
> > bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:
>
> > "Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
> > Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."
>
> > Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
> > so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
> > Thanks.
>
> Isn't the SUN Ultra using an ULTRA-Sparc core? If so, the point is moot.
>
> Diez

No, it's Intel based.
From: Russ P. on
On Nov 12, 12:06 pm, "Russ P." <russ.paie...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Python program that runs too slow for some inputs. I would
> like to speed it up without rewriting any code. Psyco seemed like
> exactly what I need, until I saw that it only works on a 32-bit
> architecture. I work in an environment of Sun Ultras that are all 64-
> bit. However, the Psyco docs say this:
>
> "Psyco does not support the 64-bit x86 architecture, unless you have a
> Python compiled in 32-bit compatibility mode."
>
> Would it make sense to compile Python in the 32-bit compatibility mode
> so I can use Psyco? What would I lose in that mode, if anything?
> Thanks.

I just stumbled across "unladen swallow," a "faster implementation of
Python." Is it ready for operational usage? How does it compare to
Psyco? I poked around their website a bit, but I don't see answers to
those questions. Thanks.