From: Jamie on
In <Xns9CC5E7178381Egreederxprtnet(a)94.75.244.51>,
Gordon <gonzo(a)alltomyself.com> mentions:
>Van Chocstraw <boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in
>
>> This is new a really great program to install and run. Try it. it's only
>> a 100mb iso.
>
>How is Puppy compared to other Linux distros?

Not really a distro and I wish people would quit calling it that (I admit,
I don't know quite what to call it)

Puppy linux is a pretty neat way to run "something-to-the-effect-of" linux
off of a CDROM.

Very handy tool in case you screw up your machine and need to go online
to fetch something.

It's certainly NOT a linux you'd want to actually "install".

Jamie
Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions
From: atec7 7 "atec on
Jamie wrote:
> In <Xns9CC5E7178381Egreederxprtnet(a)94.75.244.51>,
> Gordon <gonzo(a)alltomyself.com> mentions:
>> Van Chocstraw <boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in
>>
>>> This is new a really great program to install and run. Try it. it's only
>>> a 100mb iso.
>> How is Puppy compared to other Linux distros?
>
> Not really a distro and I wish people would quit calling it that (I admit,
> I don't know quite what to call it)
>
> Puppy linux is a pretty neat way to run "something-to-the-effect-of" linux
> off of a CDROM.
>
> Very handy tool in case you screw up your machine and need to go online
> to fetch something.
>
> It's certainly NOT a linux you'd want to actually "install".
>
> Jamie
I cant really agree with tha
It installs well enough but unless you are equipped with some skills
not for the initiated certainly
From: Whiskers on
On 2009-11-19, Jamie <nospam(a)geniegate.com> wrote:
> In <Xns9CC5E7178381Egreederxprtnet(a)94.75.244.51>,
> Gordon <gonzo(a)alltomyself.com> mentions:
>>Van Chocstraw <boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com> wrote in
>>
>>> This is new a really great program to install and run. Try it. it's only
>>> a 100mb iso.
>>
>>How is Puppy compared to other Linux distros?
>
> Not really a distro and I wish people would quit calling it that (I admit,
> I don't know quite what to call it)
>
> Puppy linux is a pretty neat way to run "something-to-the-effect-of" linux
> off of a CDROM.
>
> Very handy tool in case you screw up your machine and need to go online
> to fetch something.
>
> It's certainly NOT a linux you'd want to actually "install".
>
> Jamie

What makes it 'not Linux' or 'not a distro'?
<http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy> It's one of a bunch
of Linux distros intended to be small and to run well on limited hardware.
Deli Linux, Damn Small Linux, Firefly, Antemium, and others, are in the
same category.

Of course, you don't get that small without sacrificing some of the bells
and whistles that can make Mandriva, SuSE, etc, so attractive, and it
might be considered eccentric to run Puppy on a Cray.

--
-- Whiskers