From: Jackson on
XP (mce)SP3
Dell Dimension DIMC521, 64 X2Dual

I ran chkdsk: Mycomputer, C:, Properties, Tools, Check now,
with automatic system fix and recover bad sectors. This is
the first time I ever did this.

After it finished the task (1 - 2 hours later), I read the
event folder (system) and found an error that was repeated
many time. Here is the error message:

//Error service control manager. The ThreatFire service
failed to start due to failure to find the file specified.//

Background: I have a misty memory of installing ThreatFire
(TF) some years ago and later uninstalling it. Evidently
the process left references strewn thruout the registry.

I opened regedit, which I don't feel at all comfortable
doing, and did a search for 'TF'. It found many instances
in the software section. I didn't bother to search all the
other sections.

I would like some sage advice.

Item 1). Since my system is working okay with all that
residue inside should I just leave the register alone or
should I try to clean out all the references to ThreatFire?

After considering whatever advice I receive about Item 1, I
will decide to ignore TF or purge TF and will ask again at
that point for help in proceeding.

Thank you so much.

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL
From: 20100216 on
You can safely use CCleaner and it will ensure your registry is checked for
any orphaned links and registry entries.

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup228.exe

hth

From: glee on
How to uninstall ThreatFire:
http://www.pctools.com/contact/support/product/threatfire/

Theey've created a special cleaning utility to wipe out all traces of
ThreatFire from your system.
The utility can be downloaded here:
http://www.threatfire.com/files/RemoveThreatFire(3.0).zip

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Jackson on
Thanks for the link; I have downloaded the utility. I am
waiting for any advice on whether to try to clean the
registry or just leave it alone before I run the utility.

From: glee on
"Clean the Registry?" Absolutely not.
Run the removal utility....that is supposed to remove all references to
the program.
Then reboot.