From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-09-2010 12:45, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> Works with all models of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
>
> "Mount an iPad, iTouch or iPhone to USB disk mode on a Mac. Phone Disk is a
> tiny program which runs in the system tray of your Mac. When it finds an

The system tray of your Mac?

> iPod Touch or iPhone it seamlessly mounts it to your file system so you can
> directly access files on it using Finder or any other program."
>
> It's free until September 1.
>
> <http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/>
>
> And for Windows users:
>
> <http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/>
>
> There's also a Mac version, but apparently, it doesn't have all the
> features of iPhone Disk. It is freeware, though.

The one that “runs in the system tray of your Mac” is not a Mac version?

I'd be _very_ nervous about this thing turning my iPhone
into a shiny paperweight.

--
Wes Groleau

Common Sense
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=1184
From: nospam on
In article <i18clu$oa8$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Wes Groleau
<Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> On 07-09-2010 12:45, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> > Works with all models of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
> >
> > "Mount an iPad, iTouch or iPhone to USB disk mode on a Mac. Phone Disk is a
> > tiny program which runs in the system tray of your Mac. When it finds an
>
> The system tray of your Mac?

always a sign of quality software when the vendor has no idea about the
target platform user interface.

> > There's also a Mac version, but apparently, it doesn't have all the
> > features of iPhone Disk. It is freeware, though.
>
> The one that �runs in the system tray of your Mac� is not a Mac version?
>
> I�d be _very_ nervous about this thing turning my iPhone
> into a shiny paperweight.

the package includes macfuse and an application. it won't do anything
to the iphone, but it might cause problems on the mac (probably not
though).
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-09-2010 19:59, nospam wrote:
> the package includes macfuse and an application. it won't do anything
> to the iphone, but it might cause problems on the mac (probably not
> though).

It claims to allow you to read AND WRITE to the phone's filesystem.

It also has a button on the GUI to “Reval in Finder”
Suppose they meant “revel”? :-)

--
Wes Groleau

Hostility to TPRS
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/barrett?itemid=1596
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-09-2010 20:21, Wes Groleau wrote:
> On 07-09-2010 19:59, nospam wrote:
>> the package includes macfuse and an application. it won't do anything
>> to the iphone, but it might cause problems on the mac (probably not
>> though).
>
> It claims to allow you to read AND WRITE to the phone's filesystem.
>
> It also has a button on the GUI to “Reval in Finder”
> Suppose they meant “revel”? :-)

Well, I took a chance. Installed it, and activated. Each app is
treated as a separated disk partition (the OS probably uses chroot).
The tool can only mount one at a time, but if you cd into one of them in
a shell, when the tool mounts another, the first one can't dismount.
Finder, however, although it superficially appears to have both mounted,
if you select an image file in the "wrong" one, you see the preview
of the one that the tool thinks is mounted.

Tell the tool to dismount the device and the one last selected in the
tool is dismounted. cd out of the other, and finder doesn't dismount it.
But nav into it and you are actually looking at the other one.

Then I got really crazy. Opened up the icon of an app I never use
in GraphicConverter. Changed the color of a shape in it.
Tried to save. Got a system error -39. Saved to Mac and tried to drag
in. Another error. So it maybe it _can't_ write. I can go to and
play songs and see images. Not going to take a chance on editing any of
my songs or photos. Each app by the way has its own /tmp directory.

And the free Winnie the Pooh that comes with iBooks--each chapter's file
has an html extension but is garbage in FireFox. Tried several enodings
but no use.

--
Wes Groleau

Don't get even -- get odd!
From: nospam on
In article <i18ee5$vp0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Wes Groleau
<Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> It also has a button on the GUI to �Reval in Finder�
> Suppose they meant �revel�? :-)

i just love high quality software.