From: nospam on
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-Z1IRYFROjBdF(a)localhost>, John Varela
<newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> > garmin has had mac software for a few years. you don't say which garmin
> > gps you have but i'd be very surprised if it didn't work with their mac
> > software.
>
> Be very surprised.

i am.

> <rant>

that's completely opposite to my experience.

i have two garmin gps and they are excellent hardware. their software
is not the greatest (they need ui designers big time) but it does what
it needs to do. i've had no problems converting maps from pc format to
mac format (not sure why that's needed but it is) and installing them
from the mac to the gps. their newer models have sirf star iii chips
(and i think they have iv now) which are amazing. they can get a full
lock with multiple satellites indoors and third party utilities can
extract the log files (mine do not have removable sd cards).
From: John Varela on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 05:52:59 UTC, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-Z1IRYFROjBdF(a)localhost>, John Varela
> <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > > garmin has had mac software for a few years. you don't say which garmin
> > > gps you have but i'd be very surprised if it didn't work with their mac
> > > software.
> >
> > Be very surprised.
>
> i am.
>
> > <rant>
>
> that's completely opposite to my experience.
>
> i have two garmin gps and they are excellent hardware. their software
> is not the greatest (they need ui designers big time) but it does what
> it needs to do. i've had no problems converting maps from pc format to
> mac format (not sure why that's needed but it is) and installing them

For the longest time they had no Mac software, and when they finally
provided Mac software it was strictly as an afterthought. They did
not retrofit to (then) four-year-old devices like my 2610. It was an
expensive device and they orphaned it. Not a good company to do
business with; untrustworthy.

--
John Varela