From: Andrew Hodgson on
Hi,

I recently upgraded to ASA 8.3 and so that I could work out the new
syntax of the NAT statements, I removed all the migrated config and
started again.

I have created NAT statements for all the relevant hosts, however, I
didn't create a NAT statement for comunication between the local
network and the host gollum in the DMZ network, yet I am able to
connect to the host fine from any machine on the internal network, and
gollum is able to connect to servers on the inside network, and the IP
addresses aren't being NATted.

Could someone take a look at this and tell me why this seems to be the
case?

Thanks.
Andrew.

ASA Version 8.3(1)
!
hostname pippin
domain-name hodgsonfamily.org
enable password [...]
passwd [...]
names
!
interface Vlan1
nameif inside
security-level 100
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan2
nameif outside
security-level 0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.240
!
interface Vlan3
nameif dmz
security-level 90
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface Ethernet0/0
switchport access vlan 2
!
interface Ethernet0/1
!
interface Ethernet0/2
switchport access vlan 3
!
interface Ethernet0/3
!
interface Ethernet0/4
!
interface Ethernet0/5
!
interface Ethernet0/6
!
interface Ethernet0/7
!
ftp mode passive
clock timezone GMT/BST 0
clock summer-time GMT/BDT recurring last Sun Mar 1:00 last Sun Oct
2:00
dns server-group DefaultDNS
domain-name hodgsonfamily.org
object network elrond
host 192.168.1.2
object network frodo
host 192.168.1.4
object network pc01
host 192.168.1.11
object network gollum
host 192.168.0.2
object network NATPool
range 10.1.1.10 10.1.1.15
object network obj_any
subnet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
access-list dmz_access extended permit tcp host 192.168.0.2 host
192.168.1.2 eq smtp
access-list dmz_access extended permit tcp host 192.168.0.2 host
192.168.1.2 eq domain
access-list dmz_access extended permit udp host 192.168.0.2 host
192.168.1.2 eq domain
access-list dmz_access extended permit tcp host 192.168.0.2 host
192.168.1.2 eq ldap
access-list dmz_access extended deny ip 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
access-list dmz_access extended permit ip any any
access-list outside_access extended permit icmp any any echo-reply
access-list outside_access extended permit icmp any any source-quench
access-list outside_access extended permit icmp any any unreachable
access-list outside_access extended permit icmp any any time-exceeded
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.0.2 eq
smtp
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.0.2 eq
domain
access-list outside_access extended permit udp any host 192.168.0.2 eq
domain
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.1.2 eq
https
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.1.4 eq
www
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.1.4 eq
https
access-list outside_access extended permit udp host 10.1.1.8 host
192.168.1.11 eq tftp
access-list outside_access extended permit tcp any host 192.168.1.11
eq 54088
access-list outside_access extended permit udp any host 192.168.1.11
eq 54088
pager lines 24
logging asdm informational
mtu inside 1500
mtu outside 1500
mtu dmz 1500
no failover
icmp unreachable rate-limit 1 burst-size 1
asdm image disk0:/asdm-631.bin
no asdm history enable
arp timeout 14400
!
object network elrond
nat (inside,outside) static 10.1.1.3
object network frodo
nat (inside,outside) static 10.1.1.4
object network pc01
nat (inside,outside) static 10.1.1.5
object network gollum
nat (dmz,outside) static 10.1.1.2
object network obj_any
nat (inside,outside) dynamic NATPool interface
access-group outside_access in interface outside
access-group dmz_access in interface dmz
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.8 1
timeout xlate 3:00:00
timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat
0:05:00
timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00
sip-disconnect 0:02:00
timeout sip-provisional-media 0:02:00 uauth 0:05:00 absolute
timeout tcp-proxy-reassembly 0:01:00
dynamic-access-policy-record DfltAccessPolicy
aaa authentication ssh console LOCAL
aaa authentication enable console LOCAL
aaa authentication http console LOCAL
aaa authentication serial console LOCAL
aaa authentication telnet console LOCAL
http server enable
http 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside
no snmp-server location
no snmp-server contact
snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkup linkdown coldstart
crypto ipsec security-association lifetime seconds 28800
crypto ipsec security-association lifetime kilobytes 4608000
telnet timeout 5
ssh 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 inside
ssh timeout 5
console timeout 0

threat-detection basic-threat
threat-detection statistics access-list
no threat-detection statistics tcp-intercept
ntp server 192.168.1.2
webvpn
username admin password [...] encrypted privilege 15
!
class-map inspection_default
match default-inspection-traffic
!
!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
parameters
message-length maximum 512
policy-map global_policy
class inspection_default
inspect ftp
inspect h323 h225
inspect h323 ras
inspect rsh
inspect rtsp
inspect sqlnet
inspect skinny
inspect sunrpc
inspect xdmcp
inspect sip
inspect netbios
inspect tftp
inspect ip-options
!
service-policy global_policy global
prompt hostname context
call-home
profile CiscoTAC-1
no active
destination address http
https://tools.cisco.com/its/service/oddce/services/DDCEService
destination address email callhome(a)cisco.com
destination transport-method http
subscribe-to-alert-group diagnostic
subscribe-to-alert-group environment
subscribe-to-alert-group inventory periodic monthly
subscribe-to-alert-group configuration periodic monthly
subscribe-to-alert-group telemetry periodic daily
Cryptochecksum:2d147f74431341e46b68ffa9bdffc689
: end
pippin#

From: Igor Mamuzić aka Pseto on
On 22.7.2010. 21:51, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded to ASA 8.3 and so that I could work out the new
> syntax of the NAT statements, I removed all the migrated config and
> started again.
>
> I have created NAT statements for all the relevant hosts, however, I
> didn't create a NAT statement for comunication between the local
> network and the host gollum in the DMZ network, yet I am able to
> connect to the host fine from any machine on the internal network, and
> gollum is able to connect to servers on the inside network, and the IP
> addresses aren't being NATted.
>
> Could someone take a look at this and tell me why this seems to be the
> case?
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew.

That's probably because ASA 8.3 has new NAT concepts called Object NAT
and Twice NAT... I haven't played yet with 8.3 but if I understood
correctly now you can bind network object with NAT in the network object
configuration so you don't need "old" NAT statement to NAT this object.

More on this subject:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/configuration/guide/nat_overview.html