From: J�rgen Exner on
David Thole <dthole(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I can promise you I'm not trolling - I was responding to Xah Lee's
>original newsgroup post. I'll leave it as that.

Ahh, that explains a lot. Any sensible person has killfiled Xah Lee ages
ago, therefore his post never showed up. And you didn't cite or
reference any preceeding posting, therefore I assumed yours was an
original and not a response to some insane troll.

jue
From: Tad McClellan on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]

David Thole <dthole(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tad,
>
> I can promise you I'm not trolling -

I did not say, or even imply, that you were trolling.

> I was responding to Xah Lee's
> original newsgroup post.

I did say that you were feeding the troll.

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: David Thole on
Yeah, I'm relatively new to Usenet so far...maybe 2 weeks old, so I have
only begun to realize that he's actually a troll. How to killify him is
something I'm not sure of yet...but seeing some spam get through, plus
stuff like this makes me want to check up on how to do it. I also need
to figure out how to make my client include previous posts, quoted at
least somewhat. heh, using gnus...so I'm sure it's possible to get this
configured right.

-David
http://www.thedarktrumpet.com
From: David Thole on
Tad McClellan <tadmc(a)seesig.invalid> writes:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.perl.misc.]
>
> David Thole <dthole(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tad,
>>
>> I can promise you I'm not trolling -
>

> I did not say, or even imply, that you were trolling.

My apologies, I misinterpreted what you were saying.

>> I was responding to Xah Lee's
>> original newsgroup post.
>

> I did say that you were feeding the troll.

Yeah, I'm kinda getting that now. Sorry for the intrusion for all the
people who read this on perl/cl

-David
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:53:33 -0600, David Thole wrote:

> I read this....and am a tiny bit confused about the actual problem.
>
> It's not exactly complex to realize that something like: a = b = array
> that a and b both point to the array.
>
> Logically speaking, I'm not sure how one could assume that the same
> assignment would yield a and b point to the same duplicate array.

It's an easy mistake to make, if you don't understand Python's object
model:

>>> a = b = 2
>>> a += 1
>>> a, b
(3, 2)
>>> a = b = [2]
>>> a[0] += 1
>>> a, b

For the non-Python coders reading, the difference is that ints are
immutable, and hence a += 1 assigns a to a new int, leaving b untouched,
but lists are mutable, hence a[0] += 1 mutates the list which both a and
b refer to. This is a Good Thing, but it is one of the things which give
newcomers some trouble.

--
Steven