From: Ethan Furman on
In the glossary section it states:

<doc>
nested scope

The ability to refer to a variable in an enclosing definition. For
instance, a function defined inside another function can refer to
variables in the outer function. Note that nested scopes work only for
reference and not for assignment which will always write to the
innermost scope. In contrast, local variables both read and write in the
innermost scope. Likewise, global variables read and write to the global
namespace.
</doc>

Doesn't the nonlocal keyword make variables in outer scopes writable?

~Ethan~
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/29/10 10:01 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> In the glossary section it states:
>
> <doc>
> nested scope
>
> The ability to refer to a variable in an enclosing definition. For
> instance, a function defined inside another function can refer to
> variables in the outer function. Note that nested scopes work only for
> reference and not for assignment which will always write to the
> innermost scope. In contrast, local variables both read and write in the
> innermost scope. Likewise, global variables read and write to the global
> namespace.
> </doc>
>
> Doesn't the nonlocal keyword make variables in outer scopes writable?

Yes. I'd submit a doc bug.

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Ethan Furman on
Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On 6/29/10 10:01 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>> In the glossary section it states:
>>
>> <doc>
>> nested scope
>>
>> The ability to refer to a variable in an enclosing definition. For
>> instance, a function defined inside another function can refer to
>> variables in the outer function. Note that nested scopes work only for
>> reference and not for assignment which will always write to the
>> innermost scope. In contrast, local variables both read and write in the
>> innermost scope. Likewise, global variables read and write to the global
>> namespace.
>> </doc>
>>
>> Doesn't the nonlocal keyword make variables in outer scopes writable?
>
> Yes. I'd submit a doc bug.

Bug submitted.

~Ethan~

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.2365.1277844243.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>Stephen Hansen wrote:
>> On 6/29/10 10:01 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
>>> In the glossary section it states:
>>>
>>> <doc>
>>> nested scope
>>>
>>> The ability to refer to a variable in an enclosing definition. For
>>> instance, a function defined inside another function can refer to
>>> variables in the outer function. Note that nested scopes work only for
>>> reference and not for assignment which will always write to the
>>> innermost scope. In contrast, local variables both read and write in the
>>> innermost scope. Likewise, global variables read and write to the global
>>> namespace.
>>> </doc>
>>>
>>> Doesn't the nonlocal keyword make variables in outer scopes writable?
>>
>> Yes. I'd submit a doc bug.
>
>Bug submitted.

For the benefit of people following along at home, it's nice to provide
the URL to the ticket.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Ethan Furman on
Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.2365.1277844243.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
> Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>> Stephen Hansen wrote:

>>> Yes. I'd submit a doc bug.
>> Bug submitted.
>
> For the benefit of people following along at home, it's nice to provide
> the URL to the ticket.

Hmmm.... Well, as this is my first ever bug post (yay! ;) I *think*
this is what you want:

http://bugs.python.org/issue9121

~Ethan~