From: Jorgen Grahn on
On Mon, 2010-06-07, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> On 2010-06-07, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel(a)sequans.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone knows a way to configure vim so it automatically
>> select to correct expandtab value depending on the current
>> buffer 'way of doing' ? I need to edit different files, some
>> are using spaces, others tabs. Those belong to different
>> projects, and changing all spaces to tabs is not an option for
>> me.
>>
>> I can't make vim automatically comply with the current buffer
>> coding style, anyone knows if it is possible ?
>
> :h filetypes will get you started on the right path. It'll be up
> to you to program the recognition logic. Do you have a heuristic
> in mind?
>
> You will be better off converting tabbed files to be tabless,
> which is pretty easy in vim.

But as he wrote, that is not an option. And I can believe that -- if
you are many programmers, working in parallel on some fairly big and
mature project, the *last* thing you want is someone coming in and
reindenting everything.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
From: Robin Becker on
On 09/06/2010 13:06, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:
>> the idea is to switch between using tabs and spaces depending on the
>> original source. If the input is all spaces we switch to tabs
>> internally and then convert on output. If it was tabbed we keep that,
>> if mixed I think it keeps that. This works for me as I often work with
>> long latency connections and prefer tabs to spaces.
>
> Thanks, this is no exactly what I needed, but from your code I managed
> to write something that suits me.
> It basically counts the occurrence of tabs and 4-spaces at the beginning
> of lines, and use the greatest number as criterion for setting tab or
> space mode
> Something usefull is to get also the current mode in the status bar.
>
> Because of my poor knowledge of the vim scripting language I sometimes
> had to switch to python, but I guess it won't bother anyone in this list :)
>

> set statusline=%t\ %y\ format:\ %{&ff};\ %{Statusline_expandtab()}\ [%c,%l]
>
> function! Statusline_expandtab()
I'm not exactly an expert at vim programming either :(

nice idea to show the mode in the status.
--
Robin Becker