From: Eric Lindsay on
In article
<dc9d5e01-1ec8-4f3a-ad6a-52b3e613ed22(a)z7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
"A. Deguza" <deguza(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been scouring the web abd archives of this group to see if
> there is a way of creating snaking two-column layout for text.

Experimental fully fluid multi-column snaking layout (and other CSS
stuff). Works reasonably on Webkit based browsers and Firefox, whatever
the display width or text zoom. Works on iPhone (as single column).
Opera displays single column. Internet Explorer is excluded by use of
XHTML. IE9 may work. Snaking columns are only of use in special
circumstances, in my view.

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Eric Lindsay wrote:

> "A. Deguza" wrote:
>> I have been scouring the web abd archives of this group to see if
>> there is a way of creating snaking two-column layout for text.
>
> Experimental fully fluid multi-column snaking layout (and other CSS
> stuff). Works reasonably on Webkit based browsers and Firefox, whatever
> the display width or text zoom.

Assuming you mean <http://www.ericlindsay.com/> in the signature:

Not fully, unfortunately. Your top navigation is not semantic (should be a
list of links instead of delimited links), and does not work well with
reduced viewport width or text zoom: The links overlap the `h1' element,
because you forgot to clear:left. And you should get rid of the extra `br'
elements.

I think it would be better if the important "home" link would be placed in
the left top corner instead of in the right top one where it is easy to
overlook. I would also expect "ericlindsay.com" to be a link to the home
page, but it is not. The "To Come" link is dead.

> Works on iPhone (as single column).

I do not see a significant difference between the Firefox and iPhone
presentation, including the problem with the wrapped top links, using
Firefox 3.6.3 for Linux and Mobile Safari 4.0.528.16 (7E18). (I can
upload an iPhone screenshot if you want.)

> Opera displays single column.

I cannot confirm that either in Opera 10.10.4742 for Linux.

> Internet Explorer is excluded by use of XHTML.

<http://www.ericlindsay.com/> is referring to an _HTML_ 4.01 Strict document
and displays well in Internet Explorer 6.0 with the exception of the top
navigation (which jumps left on hover).

I am getting the idea that you are talking about something completely
different. Did you forget to include the real URL?

PointedEars
From: Eric Lindsay on
In article <2061210.QidcC6GMIc(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
> Eric Lindsay wrote:
>
> > "A. Deguza" wrote:
> >> I have been scouring the web abd archives of this group to see if
> >> there is a way of creating snaking two-column layout for text.
> >
> > Experimental fully fluid multi-column snaking layout (and other CSS
> > stuff). Works reasonably on Webkit based browsers and Firefox, whatever
> > the display width or text zoom.
>
> Assuming you mean <http://www.ericlindsay.com/> in the signature:

Sorry, brain obviously not engaged when posting. Try
http://ericlindsay.com/blog/201004.xhtml
for a test page

> I am getting the idea that you are talking about something completely
> different. Did you forget to include the real URL?

You got that right. The experimental pages are from
http://ericlindsay.com/blog/200503.xhtml (and similar). I did not expect
anyone else to read what are basically notes for myself, which is why I
don't care about IE not working.

The rest of the site is 90% obsolete, patched a few times since 1990's,
and needs a total revision (or probably removal).

--
http://www.ericlindsay.com
From: A. Deguza on
On Apr 29, 1:21 pm, Eric Lindsay <NOwebmasterS...(a)ericlindsay.com>
wrote:
[...]
> --http://www.ericlindsay.com

Thanks for your code Eric.

I finally used something similar to yours. Yours has one extra line: -
o-column-count: 2;

Which browser is this for?