From: Michael Lueck on
Greetings:

I saw a news article about DB2 Express-C running on Ubuntu Linux. I have one question about the DB2 Express-C edition: Do the usual DB2 admin tools (which come with DB2 workgroup edition for example)
work and come with DB2 Express-C edition that may be installed on another system - be it a Linux or Windows system?

Ubuntu Linux server edition is a text only interface, so I am thinking IBM has this covered that there is some provision to be able to install the DB2 admin tools on a admin workstation and remote
connect to the DB2 Express-C server. At least I hope so! ;-)

Might indeed be incentive for us to upgrade our in-house development server, and this time install on an Ubuntu Linux server.

TIA!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
From: Mark A on
"Michael Lueck" <mlueck(a)lueckdatasystems.com> wrote in message
> Greetings:
>
> I saw a news article about DB2 Express-C running on Ubuntu Linux. I have
> one question about the DB2 Express-C edition: Do the usual DB2 admin tools
> (which come with DB2 workgroup edition for example) work and come with DB2
> Express-C edition that may be installed on another system - be it a Linux
> or Windows system?
>
> Ubuntu Linux server edition is a text only interface, so I am thinking IBM
> has this covered that there is some provision to be able to install the
> DB2 admin tools on a admin workstation and remote connect to the DB2
> Express-C server. At least I hope so! ;-)
>
> Might indeed be incentive for us to upgrade our in-house development
> server, and this time install on an Ubuntu Linux server.
>
> TIA!
>
> --
> Michael Lueck

Yes, you can install DB2 Express-C on a Windows machine and remotely control
your Linux databases with the supplied GUI applications. You could also just
intall the Data Server Client (which has no database engine, but just the
client software and GUI tools).
You can get the client here:
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes

There is also IBM Data Studio 2.2 which is a separate GUI interface that is
free (the old GUI interfaces are not going to be enhanced and are being
phased out).
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/im/data/learn.html

From: Michael Lueck on
Mark A wrote:
> You can get the client here:
> http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes

This lead to a "No results found - Information Management, IBM Data Server Client Packages (9.7.*, Linux 32-bit,x86)" screen...

> There is also IBM Data Studio 2.2 which is a separate GUI interface that is
> free (the old GUI interfaces are not going to be enhanced and are being
> phased out).
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/im/data/learn.html

Seems if I go this route...

"Download IBM Data Studio (stand-alone)
Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux, Windows V2.2.0.1"

Which there is no Ubuntu installer.

My main development box currently runs Ubuntu 9.04.

Currently I am getting to DB2 admin tools via a VM session running Windows... so would like to get rid of the need to fire the VM up if possible.

Thanks very much!

From: Mark A on
> This lead to a "No results found - Information Management, IBM Data Server
> Client Packages (9.7.*, Linux 32-bit,x86)" screen...

Try this, and then navigate to the latest fixpack.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg27007053
IBM websites are brutal and not all pages can be bookmarked.

From: Michael Lueck on
Mark A wrote:
> Try this, and then navigate to the latest fixpack.
> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg27007053
> IBM websites are brutal and not all pages can be bookmarked.

That link is certainly worth bookmarking for now! Thanks!

Seems there are many choices... lots to learn with our upgrade / platform migration project. :-)

One last question, can I simply download "V9.7 Fix Pack 2" code to install, or do I need FP0 installed, then update to FP2?

Thanks very much!