From: gebelo on
Is there anything that I can do to control whether the QBE inserts
quotes or brackets around field names when I type expressions into the
QBE? For example, if I want to do an update query in a new field that
grabs the first character of OLDFIELD, left(oldfield,1) gets
interpreted as left("oldfield",1) instead of left([oldfield],1).

It seems to me that up until about Access 2003, the program was pretty
good at detecting field names and would put in the brackets
automatically - but in Access 2003, it seems to default to quotes, and
I have to remember to include the brackets, which is not easy after so
many years of not having to do so.

From: Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com on
Sorry, but I think you'll have to use your brain a little! As far as I can
remember, it was the same in version 2000, and I can't really believe that
this is something that would change.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"gebelo" <gebelo(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there anything that I can do to control whether the QBE inserts
> quotes or brackets around field names when I type expressions into the
> QBE? For example, if I want to do an update query in a new field that
> grabs the first character of OLDFIELD, left(oldfield,1) gets
> interpreted as left("oldfield",1) instead of left([oldfield],1).
>
> It seems to me that up until about Access 2003, the program was pretty
> good at detecting field names and would put in the brackets
> automatically - but in Access 2003, it seems to default to quotes, and
> I have to remember to include the brackets, which is not easy after so
> many years of not having to do so.

I don't recall it as ever being different. You have to put in the brackets
yourself.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: gebelo on
Well, when I use my brain, I use MSSql or MySQL.

That not always being the case, if you have older versions lying
around and are curious, give it a try. On my home machine (access
2002), I type in any expression and it puts in the brackets by
default. Same expression on a work machine, I get quotes by default.

This happens, by the way, in the criteria or in update queries.
if I type in an expression as a field, it still gets the brackets
right....

On Mar 26, 11:56 am, "Dirk Goldgar"
<d...(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote:
> "gebelo" <geb...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Is there anything that I can do to control whether the QBE inserts
> > quotes or brackets around field names when I type expressions into the
> > QBE? For example, if I want to do an update query in a new field that
> > grabs the first character of OLDFIELD, left(oldfield,1) gets
> > interpreted as left("oldfield",1) instead of left([oldfield],1).
>
> > It seems to me that up until about Access 2003, the program was pretty
> > good at detecting field names and would put in the brackets
> > automatically - but in Access 2003, it seems to default to quotes, and
> > I have to remember to include the brackets, which is not easy after so
> > many years of not having to do so.
>
> I don't recall it as ever being different.  You have to put in the brackets
> yourself.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips:www.datagnostics.com/tips.html