From: David Mark on
rf wrote:
> Jake Jarvis wrote:
>> On 10.02.2010 12:49, wrote rf:
>>> Roja Gilwreathe wrote:
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Sounds familiar.
>
> Not here.

>>> Gee, another top post, against all the rules of this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Obviously not a regular reader. Just a drop in troll angry that is
>>> favourite
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> I would actually bet on the opposite, see above.
>
> A search for the word Gilwreathe in google groups reveals zero hits

Nearly one.

> A search on my news server reveals exactly two hits. The two posts in this
> thread.

LOL. It's the same guy (gal?) over and over. They just keep changing
their name to make it look like they are an army.

> A general search for Gilwreathe on the web returns exactly one hit, oddly
> enough a chinese "lets copy usenet" site that reveals my first post in this
> thred.
>
> No, not familar at all.

Yeah, I've never heard of most of these people who come in here crying
about "trolling" in a group nobody is forcing them to read.

> I don't care who this dipstick is, I'm on Davids side. Lets get rid of these
> stupid "libraries" and replace them with code that actually works.

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day. :)
From: David Mark on
Jake Jarvis wrote:
> On 10.02.2010 13:36, wrote rf:
>> Jake Jarvis wrote:
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Sounds familiar.
>> Not here.

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> I would actually bet on the opposite, see above.
>> A search for the word Gilwreathe in google groups reveals zero hits
>>
>> A search on my news server reveals exactly two hits. The two posts in this
>> thread.
>>
>> A general search for Gilwreathe on the web returns exactly one hit, oddly
>> enough a chinese "lets copy usenet" site that reveals my first post in this
>> thred.
>>
>> No, not familar at all.
>>
>> I don't care who this dipstick is, I'm on Davids side. Lets get rid of these
>> stupid "libraries" and replace them with code that actually works.
>>

> "Roger Gilreath" is a google groups alias of DM, been mentioned in a
> thread or two here, and I just assume "Roja" knows that as well.

As I've mentioned numerous times. I use that when GG decides I've
posted too many times in the last hour (or whatever). Used it a couple
of times in other groups to thwart bans as well (until poor "Roger" got
banned too).

Is it your assertion that I am this top-posting crank? That's certainly
not the case. More like they are trying to be funny by corrupting the
alias. I didn't even catch it until now. :)
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> Roja Gilwreathe wrote:

[...]
> "Ad hominem attacks" is another overused word that often serves only to
> make the user sound like a laughingstock (see also troll).

How so?
--
Garrett
From: David Mark on
Garrett Smith wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Roja Gilwreathe wrote:
>
> [...]
>> "Ad hominem attacks" is another overused word that often serves only to
>> make the user sound like a laughingstock (see also troll).

Because it is typically tossed about to describe anybody the poster
doesn't like. In general usage, it's got no real meaning at this point,
other than to show that the user is clueless about the origins of the
term. Technically speaking, most who cry "troll" are in fact trolling
themselves (like this latest crank).
From: jdalton on
David,

> LOL. It's the same guy (gal?) over and over. They just keep changing
> their name to make it look like they are an army.
I not posting as anyone else.

> There was a bogus test posted that excluded my QSA add-on (without
> noting the fact) and then asserted My Library was "one of the slowest"
> because QSA out-performed it.
That is wrong. The majority of browsers I reported (18 of 23 results)
do *not* have QSA.

> This was ostensibly because the other
> libraries had gone to great lengths to ensure their QSA tack-ons were
> consistent cross-browser.
I didn't say "great lengths to ensure", I said at least they attempted
to put an effort into it.

Here is what I found:
(I am not counting the try-catch as a bug check because all have that)

My Library QSA addon has 0 QSA bug checks

YUI 3.0.0 has 0 QSA bug checks that I could find :(

MooTools 1.2.4 doesn't use QSA

Prototype 1.6.1 (next release they are switching to Sizzle)
WebKit className issue line #3217
Context check line #3293

Sizzle 1.0 (Used in jQuery):
WebKit className issue
http://github.com/jeresig/sizzle/blob/master/sizzle.js#L894

Avoid QSA on non HTML elements
http://github.com/jeresig/sizzle/blob/master/sizzle.js#L903

Avoid issues when .length of a nodeList maybe an element
http://github.com/jeresig/sizzle/blob/master/sizzle.js#L724

jQuery 1.4.1 (in addition to the Sizzle checks)
Avoids QSA for simple id selector line #121
Avoids QSA for simple tagName selector line #142

Dojo 1.4.0
Starting with combinator check line #9240
IE pseudos selector check line #9244
className case bug line #9246
Avoids `:contains` and `:checked` line #9255
Avoids attribute selector `|=` line #9256
Converts to a dojo.NodeList #9583

NWMatcher 1.2.1 (line numbers range from 233 - 302)
className should be case-sensitive in quirksMode (draft spec)
`:enabled` and `:disabled` bugs with hidden fields (Firefox 3.5
QSA bug)
IE8 throws errors with some pseudos
`:checked` bugs with checkbox fields (Opera 10beta3 bug)
link bugs with hyperlinks matching (Firefox/Safari)
Attribute bugs with isMap, checked, disabled, multiple, readonly,
selected
Avoid QSA for simple id, className and possibly tagName selectors
Avoid issues when .length of a nodeList maybe an element line

I am not debating the quality of there checks but I am saying they at
least attempt to check for inconsistencies/bugs.

I believe your Slickspeed results aren't very useful because it only
averages the time it takes to execute a method call 4 times per test
which results in a lot of useless 0ms returns.

So I used a modified version of Slickspeed which tests the max number
of executions a function can perform in a given time period (in this
case 200ms to start, later after Richard's review, I bumped it to
400ms).

At first I used a version of your My Library from your builder (just
the dom+query module) and then later, after you mentioned your builder
produced outdated code, I switched to the version from your download
page.
(both *without* your QSA addon because I take issue with it)

To be fair I then posted results from a range of browsers (most did
not support QSA) and marked your score with an asterisk.

The results re-posted here for context.

Win XP (mylib.js from your builder using just the DOM query modules)
-----

IE 7.0.5730.11
32 51 21 39* 73 59 26

IE 6.0.2900.5122.xpsp_sp3.gdr.080814-1236
30 50 20 38* 75 59 26

IE 8.0.6001.18702 (Compatibility View)
56 91 33 72* 216 108 62

Opera 9.50 (build 10063)
160 150 55 68* 339 170 128

WinXP (using mylib-min.js from your download page)
-----

Opera 9.25
49 81 29 40* 151 90 42

Opera 9.50
159 146 57 112* 347 173 123

Opera 9.64
127 127 47 98* 316 143 108

Opera 10.10
201 352 62 109* 554 426 368

Chrome 1.0.154.36
252 407 139 279* 849 476 448

Chrome 2.0.172.28
267 615 144 335* 1499 830 716

Chrome 3.0.195.21
350 946 161 114* 2160 1333 970

IE6
29 47 18 35* 69 60 24

IE8 (Compatibility View)
61 97 38 81* 234 117 64

Firefox 3.6
244 305 188 99* 922 354 318

OSX 10.4
--------

Safari 2.0.0
1 0 9 1* 10 5 0

Safari 2.0.4
2 0 2 3* 15 0 2

Safari 3.04
17 20 13 15* 54 24 16

Safari 3.1
177 302 84 124* 562 387 362

Firefox 2.0
7 12 7 7* 28 14 7

Richard Cornford then reviewed my Slickspeed internals and made some
suggestions (none of which changed the overall result trend)
As per Richards's review I increased the sample time from 200ms to
400ms and made it display the straight execution count in the results.

IE8 (Compatibility Mode)
5,958 8,362 3,238 5,681* 17,768 8,630 3,499

Opera 9.25
7,675 13,137 4,688 6,599* 25,826 14,941 6,620

Opera 9.50
33,643 31,268 11,725 24,128* 71,395 36,086 27,150

Safari 3.0.4
2,715 2,561 2,333 2,325* 8,794 3,787 2,547

Out of the 23 results posted I believe 5 used QSA.
In many of the results `My Library` was one of the slowest libs tested
(though in some it was middle of the road or better)

I apologize for any impression that I was trying to mislead people. I
have added a note to the Slickspeed stating MyLib is without the QSA
addon.

I would like to try to keep the dialog from turning into a flame war
and avoid name calling/personal attacks.
(I certainly contributed to the first round of dialogs spiraling into
flame bait and would like to avoid it again)

I am not cheerleading any major framework and really only raised an
issue with your results because of how abusive, warranted or not, I
think you are toward other frameworks/developers. I hope my test
results are useful to you and help you fine-tune your approach.