From: Stefan Soos on
Hello,

is there a way to get qtada-gpl-3.1 compiled with Debian's gnat
compiler? gprbuild and gprconfig aren't present on my system and I
can't find any package containing them, so the ./configure script
fails to run.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
From: Stephen Leake on
Stefan Soos <stefan.soos(a)gmx.de> writes:

> is there a way to get qtada-gpl-3.1 compiled with Debian's gnat
> compiler? gprbuild and gprconfig aren't present on my system and I
> can't find any package containing them, so the ./configure script
> fails to run.

You can use the GNAT GPL distribution
(http://libre.adacore.com/libre/), instead of the Debian GNAT.

You have to add the QtAda moc tool to gprbuild. here's my (very
concise) installation notes:

gnat 2009 in /opt/gnat/2009
qtada in /opt/qtada/3.0.0

su
cd /home/Projects/
mkdir gnat
tar zxf gnat-gpl-2009-1-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin.tar.gz
cd gnat-2009-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin
../doinstall
/opt/gnat/2009
export PATH=/opt/gnat/2009/bin:$PATH
cd ..

tar zxf asis-gpl-2009-src.tgz
cd asis-2009-src
make
make install

apt-get install libqt4-dev

cd /home/Projects/qt
tar zxf qtada-gpl-3.0.0.tar.gz
cd qtada-gpl-3.0.0
../configure --prefix=/opt/qtada/3.0.0
make install

export PATH=/opt/qtada/3.0.0/bin:$PATH
gprconfig --db /opt/qtada/3.0.0/share/gprconfig

I'm thinking about packaging gprbuild for the next release of Debian;
this post gives me more incentive. Feel free to bug me about it later
:).

--
-- Stephe
From: Stefan Soos on
Hi,

Stephen Leake wrote:

> Stefan Soos <stefan.soos(a)gmx.de> writes:
>
>> is there a way to get qtada-gpl-3.1 compiled with Debian's gnat
>> compiler? gprbuild and gprconfig aren't present on my system and I
>> can't find any package containing them, so the ./configure script
>> fails to run.
>
> You can use the GNAT GPL distribution
> (http://libre.adacore.com/libre/), instead of the Debian GNAT.

I thought I had to, but I hoped there was another way.

> You have to add the QtAda moc tool to gprbuild. here's my (very
> concise) installation notes:
>
> gnat 2009 in /opt/gnat/2009
> qtada in /opt/qtada/3.0.0
>
> su
> cd /home/Projects/
> mkdir gnat
> tar zxf gnat-gpl-2009-1-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin.tar.gz
> cd gnat-2009-i686-gnu-linux-libc2.3-bin
> ./doinstall
> /opt/gnat/2009
> export PATH=/opt/gnat/2009/bin:$PATH
> cd ..
>
> tar zxf asis-gpl-2009-src.tgz
> cd asis-2009-src
> make
> make install
>
> apt-get install libqt4-dev
>
> cd /home/Projects/qt
> tar zxf qtada-gpl-3.0.0.tar.gz
> cd qtada-gpl-3.0.0
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/qtada/3.0.0
> make install
>
> export PATH=/opt/qtada/3.0.0/bin:$PATH
> gprconfig --db /opt/qtada/3.0.0/share/gprconfig

Following your guide it worked like a charm, thank you.

> I'm thinking about packaging gprbuild for the next release of Debian;
> this post gives me more incentive. Feel free to bug me about it later
> :).

That would be cool. This way one wouldn't have different versions of
gnat installed.
As I read the wiki, did I understand it correctly that the guys at libre
are developing gnat pro, this development is than incorporated into gnat
gpl and gnat gpl becomes gnat gcc?
> --
> -- Stephe

Thank you again for your instructions, qtada is way too cool.
Bye,
Stefan

From: Stephen Leake on
Stefan Soos <stefan.soos(a)gmx.de> writes:

>> I'm thinking about packaging gprbuild for the next release of Debian;
>> this post gives me more incentive. Feel free to bug me about it later
>> :).
>>
> That would be cool. This way one wouldn't have different versions of
> gnat installed.

I'm working on it. And today is a snow day (near Washington DC), so
I'll work on it some more :).

> As I read the wiki, did I understand it correctly that the guys at libre
> are developing gnat pro, this development is than incorporated into gnat
> gpl and gnat gpl becomes gnat gcc?

Roughly, yes. I suspect things flow in other directions as well.

--
-- Stephe
From: Ludovic Brenta on
On Dec 21, 1:09 pm, Stephen Leake <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org>
wrote:
> Stefan Soos <stefan.s...(a)gmx.de> writes:
> >> I'm thinking about packaging gprbuild for the next release of Debian;
> >> this post gives me more incentive. Feel free to bug me about it later
> >> :).
>
> > That would be cool. This way one wouldn't have different versions of
> > gnat installed.
>
> I'm working on it. And today is a snow day (near Washington DC), so
> I'll work on it some more :).
>
> > As I read the wiki, did I understand it correctly that the guys at libre
> > are developing gnat pro, this development is than incorporated into gnat
> > gpl and gnat gpl becomes gnat gcc?
>
> Roughly, yes. I suspect things flow in other directions as well.

I'd like to correct that. AFAIU, GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL are from the
same branch of development at AdaCore. They periodically merge this
branch into GCC at the FSF, during Stage 1 only. GNAT Pro, GNAT GPL
and GCC have independent release schedules. GNAT Pro and GNAT GPL are
snapshots of the AdaCore branch (+ extra QA and bug fixing) at
different times. GCC is a snapshot of the GCC release branch at the
FSF. More details in the Debian Policy for Ada:
http://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
 |  Next  |  Last