From: Caleb Tennis on
> 3. Is Caleb going to update his excellent tutorial on QT Ruby?

I am, but I'm in the final stages of another book project at the
moment so I've put it off until that one is complete. Luckily, if
you're familiar with the Qt3 version, jumping into the Qt4 version
isn't too big of a stretch.

Thanks,
Caleb

From: richard.j.dale@gmail.com on

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> 1. Does all this magic work on Windows?
Yes, once you get it built - I'm not sure whether QtDBus works on
Windows yet but everything else should. Look at the help forum posts on
the Korundum site for info about building on Windows.

> 2. Is it packaged as a gem?
No, it really needs to be. I haven't personally good easy access to a
Windows machine for development, and I'm not particularly familiar with
the development environment either. Sooner or later I hope there will
be a binary gem for Windows..

From: Shea Martin on
David Vallner wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Awesome!! Questions:
>>
>> 1. Does all this magic work on Windows?
>> 2. Is it packaged as a gem?
>>

> Seconded, mswin32 gem or bust. I'm not particularly in the mood for
> polluting my machine with things related to compiling C, I sure as hell
> don't have the presence of mind to keep results thereof between the
> inevitable full reinstalls, and that it's overall a Good Thing for use
> outside personal code I don't need to remember.

I will second that. I would love to use ruby and qt together. But my
apps are multi-platform, and I can't assume that people who use windows
will already have Qt installed. If there was a simple way to get the
minimum amount of Qt binaries installed for them, then I would do it for
them.

~S
From: Shea Martin on
Shea Martin wrote:
> David Vallner wrote:
>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>> Awesome!! Questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Does all this magic work on Windows?
>>> 2. Is it packaged as a gem?
>>>

>> Seconded, mswin32 gem or bust. I'm not particularly in the mood for
>> polluting my machine with things related to compiling C, I sure as hell
>> don't have the presence of mind to keep results thereof between the
>> inevitable full reinstalls, and that it's overall a Good Thing for use
>> outside personal code I don't need to remember.
>
> I will second that. I would love to use ruby and qt together. But my
> apps are multi-platform, and I can't assume that people who use windows
> will already have Qt installed. If there was a simple way to get the
> minimum amount of Qt binaries installed for them, then I would do it for
> them.
>
> ~S

What are the legal issues of creating a rubygem for Qt (which included
necessary .so/.dll's)? I am starting a GUI project in about a month,
and am trying to decide whether to go with wx or qt. The fact that
there is a wx gem, makes it sooo much easier for people to install my app.

I guess I am just trying to gauge the chances of a qt ruby gem being built?

Thanks,

~S
From: Vincent Fourmond on
Shea Martin wrote:
> What are the legal issues of creating a rubygem for Qt (which included
> necessary .so/.dll's)? I am starting a GUI project in about a month,
> and am trying to decide whether to go with wx or qt. The fact that
> there is a wx gem, makes it sooo much easier for people to install my app.

Qt4 and QtRuby are GPL, which means that if you distribute you project
to anyone, you'll need to do so under GPL -- so you'll have to make
OpenSource software. If that doesn't bother you, that's all the legal
problems you'll have. It also applies to any Qt rubygem.

> I guess I am just trying to gauge the chances of a qt ruby gem being built?

If I understood right, you're looking for a gem that would also
include Qt4 libraries, is it right ? There would be no legal problem in
distributing it, but I think it will be rather tricky to make. I hope
I'm wrong.

Vince

--
Vincent Fourmond, PhD student