From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky on
richard.j.dale(a)gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> The last option will default to Qt4 QtRuby.
> * The command line api introspection tool can be used to query
> both Qt3 and Qt4 apis:
> - rbqt3api
> - rbqt4api
> - rbqtapi
> Again the last option will default to the Qt4 api for QtRuby
> * The 'rbuic' tool has been renamed 'rbuic4' to avoid a clash with
> the Qt3 one.
> * The Qt3 and Qt4 versions of the Smoke library have different
> versions and can be installed in the same directory
>
> * Added the rbrcc Ruby resource compiler tool
>
> * Optional support for the QtDbus classes, and Qt QDBus examples
> ported to ruby
>
> * Optional support for the Qwt plotting library
>
> * Blocks can be used as targets for connect calls as well as ordinary
> slots:
>
> * Added a new variant of connect, which takes a SIGNAL as an
> argument, along with a block. For example:
>
> quit.connect(SIGNAL(:clicked)) { puts 'quit pressed' }
>
> The block is called in the context of where the connect call was
> made, and 'self' needn't be a Qt::Object. It is similar to
> the
> signal_connect() method in ruby-gnome. This was suggested by
> rickdangerous on the #qtruby irc channel.
>
> * Here is an example of the class method connect() call with a block
> as a target:
>
> app = Qt::Application.new(ARGV)
> quit = Qt::PushButton.new('Quit')
> Qt::Object.connect(quit, SIGNAL('clicked()'), app) do
> puts 'quit clicked'
> end
>
> The block is executed in the context of the target instance,
> 'app' in this case.
>
> * And the instance method form:
>
> class MyButton < Qt::Button
> def initialize(text)
> super(text)
> connect(self, SIGNAL(:clicked)) do
> puts 'button clicked'
> end
> end
>
> The block is executed in the context of self - the instance making
> the connect() call.
>
> CONFIG
>
> See the qtruby/INSTALL file for details of configuration, building
> and installation.
>
> BUILDING ON WINDOWS
>
> * The smoke library can be built on windows by manually editing
> qtguess.pl.in and generate.pl.in (automake doesn't work with
> qtruby on Windows). Run 'perl qtguess.pl' to for the configure
> tests. Then run 'perl generate.pl' to generate the Smoke sources,
> and build with qmake. Use extconf.rb and qmake to build the
> qtruby extension and rbuic tool.
>
> ENVIRONMENTS
>
> Linux, BSD*, Unix etc
> Mac OS X, Windows
>
> AUTHORS
>
> Richard Dale with Caleb Tennis, Alexander Kellett and others.
> Special thanks to kelko and rickdangerous for suggesting how
> to implment 'blocks as slots' for this release.

Awesome!! Questions:

1. Does all this magic work on Windows?
2. Is it packaged as a gem?
3. Is Caleb going to update his excellent tutorial on QT Ruby?

From: Pau Garcia i Quiles on

Awesome!

From: Vincent Fourmond on
richard.j.dale(a)gmail.com wrote:
> URIS
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/
> http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html
>
> NAME
>
> QtRuby 1.4.7
> * Blocks can be used as targets for connect calls as well as ordinary
> slots:

Great, that's exactly what was missing from 1.4.6 !! I'll make a new
upload as soon as the previous one is in the Debian archive (shoudln't
take too long, hopefully...)

Cheers !

Vince

From: David Vallner on
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Awesome!! Questions:
>
> 1. Does all this magic work on Windows?
> 2. Is it packaged as a gem?

Seconded, mswin32 gem or bust. I'm not particularly in the mood for
polluting my machine with things related to compiling C, I sure as hell
don't have the presence of mind to keep results thereof between the
inevitable full reinstalls, and that it's overall a Good Thing for use
outside personal code I don't need to remember.

Please, give me a reason to quit Python for GUI work, clashing naming
conventions of DOOM keep making me want to scream at someone on that
side of the ballpark.

*idly daydreams of mswin64 Ruby and native gems*

David Vallner

From: richard.j.dale@gmail.com on
Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> richard.j.dale(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > URIS
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/
> > http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html
> >
> > NAME
> >
> > QtRuby 1.4.7
> > * Blocks can be used as targets for connect calls as well as ordinary
> > slots:
>
> Great, that's exactly what was missing from 1.4.6 !! I'll make a new
> upload as soon as the previous one is in the Debian archive (shoudln't
> take too long, hopefully...)
>
> Cheers !
>
> Vince
I forgot to include your Debian patch in the release. I hope to rectify
that and do another release in 2-3 weeks along with a rbqdbusxml2rb
tool and more fixes for QtDBus, and more work on fixing the examples.

-- Richard