From: Gardner on
I have a Quadtech DSC-100 PCI dual serial port that I want to try to
use with 8.0R i383. The kernel sees the card, but does not attach a
driver. Is there an optional driver or loadable driver that would work
with this board?

dmesg says:
pci5: <simple comms, multiport serial> at device 14.0 (no driver
attached)

The board is this one:
http://www.quatech.com/ManualsDriversFirmware/manuals/dsc-100.pdf

Any pointers? Thanks.

Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
From: Martin Johnson on
On 22/07/2010 04:18, Gardner wrote:
> I have a Quadtech DSC-100 PCI dual serial port that I want to try to
> use with 8.0R i383. The kernel sees the card, but does not attach a
> driver. Is there an optional driver or loadable driver that would work
> with this board?
>
> dmesg says:
> pci5: <simple comms, multiport serial> at device 14.0 (no driver
> attached)
>
> The board is this one:
> http://www.quatech.com/ManualsDriversFirmware/manuals/dsc-100.pdf
>
> Any pointers? Thanks.

Worth a try at enabling the "puc" device in the kernel. e.g. in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC you will find:

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to sio, uart and/or ppc drivers):
#device puc
From: Gardner on
On 22-Jul-2010 02:58, Martin Johnson wrote:
> device puc

Thank you!

kldload puc.ko

Jul 22 21:16:22 NewGromit kernel: puc0: <Quatech DSC-100> port
0xcc80-0xccff,0xcc40-0xcc5f irq 22 at device 14.0 on pci5
Jul 22 21:16:22 NewGromit kernel: puc0: [FILTER]

Now I have to figure out how to get sio to find this and connect all
the cuaX and ttyX nodes.

From: Gardner on
On 22-Jul-2010 21:23, Gardner wrote:

> kldload puc.ko

Funny, I couldn't get this to work with the loadable module but when
I built a kernel with puc in it, it seems to find and attach all the
uarts and all is well.

From: Martin Johnson on
On 24/07/2010 06:13, Gardner wrote:
> On 22-Jul-2010 21:23, Gardner wrote:
>>
>> kldload puc.ko
>>

> Funny, I couldn't get this to work with the loadable module but when
> I built a kernel with puc in it, it seems to find and attach all the
> uarts and all is well.

It would be nice if this device was in the GENERIC kernel, but maybe the
release engineers like to avoid making the default kernel too big, or
maybe there are compatibility problems on some hardware.

Pages: 1
Prev: HFS+ on FreeBSD 7.3
Next: test