From: pgaglioti88 on
I have many questions, about a project I'm doing. It is a project for my MIS
class at school and it is a MAJOR portion of my grade. The main problems I'm
havin is in relation to the criteria for displaying records, some in
conjunction with the parameter feature. If there is anyone out there who is
exceptional at access and want to lend a hand (and help a poor college kid
trying to graduate) please respond.
The first is to create a query that lets the user enter letters, with
the parameter feature) and display all records that have the letters anywhere
in the name. I can only get this to display with the letters at the beginning.
The next one that I have a problem with is to create a query that
selects all records except for those with a book code, (name of my field)
that begin with "C, H, or T" - I can only get it to work with one of the
letters not all three.
these are the major problem right now as I can not go on to start generating
reports without the quries made. And even after these are solved I still have
to do 2 more out of 10, Then of course much more, So If anyone feels up to
the task, PLEASE HELP! you could leave posts here or contact me via e-mail or
msn messenger, pgaglioti88, or pgaglioti88(a)hotmail.com THANK-YOU in advance
for even taking the time to read this!
From: [MVP] S.Clark on
Been out boozing it up and chasing the member of the preferred gender, and
now WE have to bail you out. Gawd I miss college. :D

1. Letters anywhere in the name: WHERE fieldname LIKE "*[Enter your stupid
letters professor]*"
2. Letters that don't begin with C H or T, WHERE fieldname LIKE "[!C, H,
T]*" (You are help file challenged, huh?)

Man, if these are preventing you from graduating, you may want to reconsider
your career path. :P Just kidding... punk.

--
Steve Clark, Access MVP
http://www.fmsinc.com/consulting

From: pgaglioti88 on

I swear, I search all over and my class reference site has been down for a
day and a half! Brilliant man, thanks for the help! I hope you answer any
more of my posts if I have to put them up!!!!!

From: Chris2 on

"pgaglioti88" <pgaglioti88(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:25662D4D-CC9D-4D73-B8EF-D6742016B866(a)microsoft.com...

> I swear, I search all over and my class reference site has been
down for a
> day and a half! Brilliant man, thanks for the help! I hope you
answer any
> more of my posts if I have to put them up!!!!!
> "[MVP] S.Clark" wrote:

pgaglioti88,

Go to the menus at the top of the MS Access application window.

Help > Microsoft Access Help

Still being stuck in MS Access 2k, the direct help file is rather
annoying to use. So, I find it easier to create shortcuts to:

VBLR6.chm
JETSQL40.chm
DAO360.chm

.. . . the above files, and to just open the help file I need at the
moment.

If you are using MS Access, all of the above should be located on
your computer. Just search on the hard drive for "*.chm".

Locate an open the JETSQL40.chm file now.

Left-click on the index tab.

Type in "Like operator" in the text box provided, and then double
left-click on the "Like operator" entry in the list box below the
text box you did the typing in.

A *very* useful page on "LIKE" appears.

Near the bottom of the page is a link to "Using Wildcard Characters
in String Comparisons". This also contains useful information.

Sincerely,

Chris O.

From: RobFMS on
Pgaglioti

How are you running this query?
1. Are you creating a form for the user to enter the selection and clicking
a button?
2. Are you using a macro that will prompt the user for input?
3. Are you just creating code that runs directly and gives you results?

Let's take a look at how we are to get the inputs in first.... then we'll
figure out how to get it to work.

This is all easy to do... we'll just take it in short steps you understand
how it all works.

HTH

Rob Mastrostefano

--
FMS Professional Solutions Group
http://www.fmsinc.com/consulting

Software Tools for .NET, SQL Server, Visual Basic & Access
http://www.fmsinc.com

"pgaglioti88" <pgaglioti88(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have many questions, about a project I'm doing. It is a project for my
>MIS
> class at school and it is a MAJOR portion of my grade. The main problems
> I'm
> havin is in relation to the criteria for displaying records, some in
> conjunction with the parameter feature. If there is anyone out there who
> is
> exceptional at access and want to lend a hand (and help a poor college kid
> trying to graduate) please respond.
> The first is to create a query that lets the user enter letters, with
> the parameter feature) and display all records that have the letters
> anywhere
> in the name. I can only get this to display with the letters at the
> beginning.
> The next one that I have a problem with is to create a query that
> selects all records except for those with a book code, (name of my field)
> that begin with "C, H, or T" - I can only get it to work with one of the
> letters not all three.
> these are the major problem right now as I can not go on to start
> generating
> reports without the quries made. And even after these are solved I still
> have
> to do 2 more out of 10, Then of course much more, So If anyone feels up to
> the task, PLEASE HELP! you could leave posts here or contact me via e-mail
> or
> msn messenger, pgaglioti88, or pgaglioti88(a)hotmail.com THANK-YOU in
> advance
> for even taking the time to read this!

Pages: 1
Prev: ODBC call failed