From: Karren Lorr on
I have a table with 2 weight fields, stones and pounds.
Is there a formula that I could use to convert this into a single kg field.

I would be doing this in a query

There are many answers on google but they seem all to be for excel.

Thank you
From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:37:55 -0700, Karren Lorr
<KarrenLorr(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a table with 2 weight fields, stones and pounds.
>Is there a formula that I could use to convert this into a single kg field.
>
>I would be doing this in a query
>
>There are many answers on google but they seem all to be for excel.
>
>Thank you

Do you want all three fields? That would be bad design, since they're
redundant (three ways of depicting the same fact). Does each record have only
one of stones or pounds filled in? If both, what would you do if you had
numbers that don't agree?

A table should not have any calculated fields in it; you can run an update
query to update the kg field to the correct value, on a one time only basis:
create a query based on the table, change it to an Update query, and update kg

IIF(Not IsNull([pounds]), 2.2*[pounds], IIF(Not IsNull([stones]),
6.35*[stones], Null))
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]

Pages: 1