From: JJ on
Hi all

would anyone know if there exists a programming language that meets
below criteria:
1. should make it possible to create both gui interfaces and
associated code
2. should make it possible to create basic gui without too much code
3. should make it possible to code without a heavy IDE

A scripting language would also be fine (if you are into separating
them between programming and scripting) as long as it meets the
criteria.

Basically I am looking for a language that could eventually be run
even on the smaller computers. The point being is that it could be
used for simple prototyping when e.g. waiting on a bus.

Thanks in advance,
From: James Harris on
On 9 Apr, 13:33, JJ <sa...(a)temporaryinbox.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> would anyone know if there exists a programming language that meets
> below criteria:
> 1. should make it possible to create both gui interfaces and
> associated code
> 2. should make it possible to create basic gui without too much code
> 3. should make it possible to code without a heavy IDE
>
> A scripting language would also be fine (if you are into separating
> them between programming and scripting) as long as it meets the
> criteria.
>
> Basically I am looking for a language that could eventually be run
> even on the smaller computers. The point being is that it could be
> used for simple prototyping when e.g. waiting on a bus.

I've had good results from using Python for scripting and wxpython for
the GUI. Here is an introduction to combining the two

http://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting%20Started#A_First_Application:_.22Hello.2C_World.22

I didn't need any form of IDE though you could use one if you wanted.

James
From: Edward Feustel on
Take a look at UNICON, an object oriented, internet capable, database
enabled, GUI based, unified, extended version of Icon:
http://www.unicon.org. its Open Source on Windows, Mac, and Linux
platforms with extensive libraries of graphics procedures.

Ed

From: Rod Pemberton on
"JJ" <santa(a)temporaryinbox.com> wrote in message

> would anyone know if there exists a programming language that meets
> below criteria:
> 1. should make it possible to create both gui interfaces and
> associated code
> 2. should make it possible to create basic gui without too much code
> 3. should make it possible to code without a heavy IDE

A programming language? For a GUI...

Perhaps:

Tcl/Tk? Qt? WxWidgets? <---found via Wikipedia search engine...

Rod Pemberton

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
JJ <santa(a)temporaryinbox.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> would anyone know if there exists a programming language that meets
> below criteria:
> 1. should make it possible to create both gui interfaces and
> associated code
> 2. should make it possible to create basic gui without too much code
> 3. should make it possible to code without a heavy IDE
>
> A scripting language would also be fine (if you are into separating
> them between programming and scripting) as long as it meets the
> criteria.

Almost all the programming languages can fit these criteria. Those are
criteria more relevant to an implementation than to a language.

> Basically I am looking for a language that could eventually be run
> even on the smaller computers. The point being is that it could be
> used for simple prototyping when e.g. waiting on a bus.

Once upon a time I used LispMe, a little scheme on Palm.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__