From: Lie Ryan on
On 04/20/10 14:22, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> The real tragedy of that situation is that a number of Microsoft's
> non-standardisms are actually better than the equivalent "standard"
> features - i.e., selecting subsets of textboxes.
>
> Whether these inconsistent "features" were added because of
> Microsoft's standoff-ish attitude toward web standards, or
> some deeper prejudice, I don't know. But there are a number
> of cases where it was clear that the decision was not made
> based on technical merits.

The question is whether IE6 is a HTML web browser?

I say not. Standards is standards however badly specified they are, and
if you claim to implement a standard, then you have to follow the
standard however bad the specification is, otherwise you are not and
cannot claim to be implementing the standard. Since IE6 deliberately
behaves against the standard, then this means IE6 isn't implementing
HTML standard. That means IE6 is not a HTML web browser, only a
"HTML-like" browser.
From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-04-20, Richard Heathfield <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>> On 2010-04-19, Paul Willekens <paul.johan.willekens(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> o put results in nice tabular form on the screen (no need of anything
>>> else than standard Internet Explorer)
>>>

>> What's "standard Internet Explorer"?
>
> Firefox.

The real tragedy of that situation is that a number of Microsoft's
non-standardisms are actually better than the equivalent "standard"
features - i.e., selecting subsets of textboxes.

Whether these inconsistent "features" were added because of
Microsoft's standoff-ish attitude toward web standards, or
some deeper prejudice, I don't know. But there are a number
of cases where it was clear that the decision was not made
based on technical merits.

(Of course, there are many more cases where Microsoft was wrong.
But they were hardly alone in this respect.)

--
Andrew Poelstra
http://www.wpsoftware.net/andrew
From: Bruce M. Axtens on
Paul Willekens wrote:
> If interested, I can give you links to the best reference and example
> sites...

I'm interested! Don't wait for the OP to ask!

Kind regards,
Bruce.
From: Andrew Poelstra on
On 2010-04-19, Paul Willekens <paul.johan.willekens(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]
> o put results in nice tabular form on the screen (no need of anything
> else than standard Internet Explorer)

What's "standard Internet Explorer"?

OP, be aware that Microsoft is not a nice player on the Internet. You
would do well to avoid anything and everything they publish on the
subject of web-application programming.

From: Richard Heathfield on
Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> On 2010-04-19, Paul Willekens <paul.johan.willekens(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> o put results in nice tabular form on the screen (no need of anything
>> else than standard Internet Explorer)
>>

> What's "standard Internet Explorer"?

Firefox.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@