From: Anssi Saari on
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> writes:

> So the question: I'd really like the SATA ports operating in AHCI
> mode. How do I get there WITHOUT doing a total reinstall of Windows?

I followed the instructions at
http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/how-to-enable-ahci-windows-xp/

However... I only did it once on one system and it worked fine, on an
Asus P5Q Deluxe, which has the ICH10R like yours. However, there are
comments on that page which say that it didn't work for them... So
YMMV.

Oh, and the reason I did it is hot-plugging capability. I have an
external drive in an esata enclosure and with AHCI mode I can just
turn it on and it appears.