From: Cyborg-HAF on
I am sill using WindowsXP SP3 and just toying with the idea of trying
Windows7 at some point in the future. I downloaded the Update Advisor and
ran it. It flagged some stuff that I could find new replacement drivers
for but it also shot down my Adaptec 2330CU SCSI PCI card that I still want
to retain ( it has a SCSI CD-Rom that I want to keep in service ). If I
get Windows7 I plan to get new Hard-Drive to partition and install Windows7
on the first partition and all my programs. I would leave the present boot
drive in the system with it's WindowsXP installation. Would it be possible
to make dual boot with the two Windows in two different hard-drives or do
the two OS' have to be on the same drive but different partitions. My only
experience with a dual-boot was back when I got WindowsXP on it's original
release date and lost the use of my scanner for lack of a driver and had to
setup Windows98SE2 to use the scanner. Both back then were on the same
multi-partition drive and the boot menu came each time I booted. I don't
know how accurate Update Advisor is at spotting incompatibilities in the
numerous Shareware programs that have accumulated including a valued old
program that hasn't been updated since early on in XP and has no good
equivalent modern program. It would require a lot of extra work to have to
do fresh install of both Windows7 and WindowsXP on the new hard-drive in
case something of use stops working in 7.
Herb

From: dadiOH on
Cyborg-HAF wrote:

> Would it be possible to
> make dual boot with the two Windows in two different hard-drives or
> do the two OS' have to be on the same drive but different partitions.

They can be on two different physical drives but in order to boot from the
non-primary drive you would have to ...

1. use a boot menu (may be created automatically by Win7, don't know, don't
use it, but would assume it does)

-OR-

2. change the device boot order in BIOS

-OR-

3. physically swap the I/O on the drives

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: peter on
You did not say how old your system was or list any specs.
W7 can be installed onto the new HD and it will overwrite the XP bootsector
and create the dual boot. Be aware that W7 uses a different boot loader than
XP
and which ever OS/drive you decide to boot into will be listed as the C
drive.
OR
you can disconnect the XP drive and install W7 onto the new HD.
Then reconnect the XP drive and by means of F12 on booting chose
which HD to boot from. .if your BIOS supports this option. If not you
would need
to enter the BIOS each time to chose which HD is 1st boot device.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Anna on

"Cyborg-HAF" <Cyborg_HAF(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am sill using WindowsXP SP3 and just toying with the idea of trying
> Windows7 at some point in the future. I downloaded the Update Advisor and
> ran it. It flagged some stuff that I could find new replacement drivers
> for but it also shot down my Adaptec 2330CU SCSI PCI card that I still
> want to retain ( it has a SCSI CD-Rom that I want to keep in service ).
> If I get Windows7 I plan to get new Hard-Drive to partition and install
> Windows7 on the first partition and all my programs. I would leave the
> present boot drive in the system with it's WindowsXP installation. Would
> it be possible to make dual boot with the two Windows in two different
> hard-drives or do the two OS' have to be on the same drive but different
> partitions. My only experience with a dual-boot was back when I got
> WindowsXP on it's original release date and lost the use of my scanner for
> lack of a driver and had to setup Windows98SE2 to use the scanner. Both
> back then were on the same multi-partition drive and the boot menu came
> each time I booted. I don't know how accurate Update Advisor is at
> spotting incompatibilities in the numerous Shareware programs that have
> accumulated including a valued old program that hasn't been updated since
> early on in XP and has no good equivalent modern program. It would
> require a lot of extra work to have to do fresh install of both Windows7
> and WindowsXP on the new hard-drive in case something of use stops working
> in 7.
> Herb

Herb:
Coincidentally I just responded to an inquiry in the MS windowsxp.general
newsgroup from a poster who was seeking advice on installing multiple OSs in
her desktop PC system. I'm obviously unsure whether the following would have
any applicability re your system/setup, but in case it does...

1. Since you're working with a desktop and further assuming your current PC
case has an available vacant 5 1/4" bay.

2. Consider equipping your PC with a removable hard drive (HDD). If you're
not familiar with that type of device and without going into too many
details at this point just let me say that a "mobile rack" (designed to
house a removable tray or caddy which contains the HDD) is affixed to a 5
1/4" bay on the computer case. The installation of such is quite simple -
not any more complicated than installing a CD/DVD optical drive in one's
system.

The cost of these mobile racks is quite modest.

3. The beauty of this type of hardware configuration is that you can work
with multiple HDDs, each effectively isolated from each other (when desired)
containing different operating systems. Through a simple turn of a keylock
on the mobile rack, you can thus boot to this drive or that drive without
the need for any "bootloader" or any other multi-booting software, as well
as no need in most cases to access the motherboard's BIOS to change the boot
priority order in order to boot to this or that particular HDD.

We've been working with removable hard drives for about 15 years and
probably have installed or help install more than a thousand of these
devices over those years. By & large we've found this desktop PC hardware
configuration a most desirable one for the great majority of desktop PC
users. And we've found that the only regret virtually every desktop PC user
of these devices has had is that they didn't install them sooner!

If you're interested, so indicate and I'll provide more detailed info about
this kind of system.
Anna

From: Cyborg-HAF on

"Anna" <myname(a)myisp.net> wrote in message

> [...]
> a keylock on the mobile rack, you can thus boot to this drive or that
> drive without the need for any "bootloader" or any other multi-booting
> software, as well as no need in most cases to access the motherboard's
> BIOS to change the boot priority order in order to boot to this or that
> particular HDD.
>
> We've been working with removable hard drives for about 15 years and
> probably have installed or help install more than a thousand of these
> devices over those years. By & large we've found this desktop PC hardware
> configuration a most desirable one for the great majority of desktop PC
> users. And we've found that the only regret virtually every desktop PC
> user of these devices has had is that they didn't install them sooner!
>
> If you're interested, so indicate and I'll provide more detailed info

Thanks for the replies. I am only looking at this only if I would run into
hardware or software incompatibilities when doing a clean install of a
non-upgrade copy of Windows7. If everything works OK in Windows7 I'd just
end up wiping out the old WindowsXP installation that I'm using now once
I've adjusted to using Windows7 instead. Back with WindowsXP and Windows98
SE2 I had definite hardware incompatabity that forced my hand. I'd read
webpage of instructions for setting up dual-boot that showed how to make it
work and it served for 3 months it took to get the needed driver.
Herb