From: hounslow3 on
I am trying to write out some dates on Excel:mac 2008, version 12.2.5,
in a template.

Every time I write out a date in one of the first columns, however, it
puts commas between the date, month and the year -- despite the fact
that I did not put them in there.

Can anybody advise on this, please?

Thanks.

From: Jeff Strickland on

<hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am trying to write out some dates on Excel:mac 2008, version 12.2.5, in a
>template.
>
> Every time I write out a date in one of the first columns, however, it
> puts commas between the date, month and the year -- despite the fact that
> I did not put them in there.
>
> Can anybody advise on this, please?
>
> Thanks.

You need to look into the formatting options, commas in a date are options
that one would select for European presentation.

From: housetrained on
<hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am trying to write out some dates on Excel:mac 2008, version 12.2.5, in
> a template.
>
> Every time I write out a date in one of the first columns, however, it
> puts commas between the date, month and the year -- despite the fact that
> I did not put them in there.
>
> Can anybody advise on this, please?
>
> Thanks.

highlight the cells - format - date - choose your option - if you don't like
any of them choose custom and go from there.
--
John the West Ham fan

housetrained(a)hotmail.com
<><

From: Jeff Strickland on

"housetrained" <housetrained(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I am trying to write out some dates on Excel:mac 2008, version 12.2.5, in
>> a template.
>>
>> Every time I write out a date in one of the first columns, however, it
>> puts commas between the date, month and the year -- despite the fact that
>> I did not put them in there.
>>
>> Can anybody advise on this, please?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> highlight the cells - format - date - choose your option - if you don't
> like any of them choose custom and go from there.
> --
> John the West Ham fan

FORMAT>STYLE and set the Date format to US.

If you do this in a blank spreadsheet and then close, the setting will be
retained on new spreadsheets. I'm not certain what the impact will be on an
existing spreadsheet that was created with a different formatting option
selected. I would have thought this setting would have been in the
TOOLS>OPTIONS menu, but I would have thought wrong.

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "housetrained" <housetrained(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> <hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> I am trying to write out some dates on Excel:mac 2008, version 12.2.5,
>>> in a template.
>>>
>>> Every time I write out a date in one of the first columns, however, it
>>> puts commas between the date, month and the year -- despite the fact
>>> that I did not put them in there.
>>>
>>> Can anybody advise on this, please?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> highlight the cells - format - date - choose your option - if you don't
>> like any of them choose custom and go from there.
>> --
>> John the West Ham fan
>>

> FORMAT>STYLE and set the Date format to US.
>
> If you do this in a blank spreadsheet and then close, the setting will be
> retained on new spreadsheets. I'm not certain what the impact will be on
> an existing spreadsheet that was created with a different formatting
> option selected. I would have thought this setting would have been in the
> TOOLS>OPTIONS menu, but I would have thought wrong.

Turns out that what I said above is not true. It works to change the format
of input data, but it does not carry the formatting option forward to new
data. There is a way to make all date fields format as 07/20/10, or
whatever, but the method I gave isn't it.