From: wmc on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> The problem is that one needs to have a minimum clue before being in a
> position to make an informed assessment about what was written. Apparently
> you are not, at least with regard to Flanagan. (Need proof? Ask Google.)

Heh... I was noting only that with Flanagan and Crockford at least I
knew with some precision what they were *trying* to say, as opposed to
the Resig book in which the prose itself was so sloppy and vague that I
frequently had to take a WAG.

From: wmc on
David Mark wrote:

>> At least Crockford and Flanagan are very
>> clear and precise writers. Crockford even has kind of a witty style.
>>

> Droll. Just watch out for some of his wackier ideas (hard to spot for
> beginners, which is why the Good Parts is not recommended in the FAQ).
> I've never read a word of Flanagan (though have seen enough code
> snippets and reviews to know I am not missing anything). Who is he anyway?

Well, I have been trying to follow the critiques here on the Good Parts
book. As for Flanagan, I'm guessing you might not consider it worthwhile
to read his articles?

http://www.davidflanagan.com/topics/javascript/

From: John G Harris on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 at 11:43:52, in comp.lang.javascript, David Mark
wrote:

<snip>
>John Harris wrote a _good_ review of it, or a review that said it was
>good? I suspect the former.
<snip>

Well, I wrote
"I'll start by describing the content of the book, then follow this with
some unenthusiastic comments."
so you can decide for yourself :-) (By the way : I was being ultra
polite as it was a public review.)

John
--
John Harris
From: David Mark on
wmc wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>>> At least Crockford and Flanagan are very
>>> clear and precise writers. Crockford even has kind of a witty style.
>>>
>> Droll. Just watch out for some of his wackier ideas (hard to spot for
>> beginners, which is why the Good Parts is not recommended in the FAQ).
>> I've never read a word of Flanagan (though have seen enough code
>> snippets and reviews to know I am not missing anything). Who is he anyway?
>
> Well, I have been trying to follow the critiques here on the Good Parts
> book. As for Flanagan, I'm guessing you might not consider it worthwhile
> to read his articles?
>
> http://www.davidflanagan.com/topics/javascript/

Good guess. :)
From: David Mark on
wmc wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>
>> The problem is that one needs to have a minimum clue before being in a
>> position to make an informed assessment about what was written. Apparently
>> you are not, at least with regard to Flanagan. (Need proof? Ask Google.)
>
> Heh... I was noting only that with Flanagan and Crockford at least I
> knew with some precision what they were *trying* to say, as opposed to
> the Resig book in which the prose itself was so sloppy and vague that I
> frequently had to take a WAG.

Ah, he writes prose like he writes code. ;)