From: nki00 on
> I don't mean to make it sound like I deserve it but.. Thanks, nki00. I am
> happy if I could help.

Yes, you deserve it. I don't know how you do it, but you've helped me a lot
(especially with that RAM problem).

> I haven't used the MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT flag, but I have some
> thoughts on how to do this without digging into the registry yourself.
> How about creating a temporary file which indicates that you have already
> scheduled the file(s) for deletion? And you can use MoveFileEx on this
> file as well.
>
> You could probably even avoid using MoveFileEx by scheduling a batch
> script or something to run at system startup to delete that/those files.

From my experience placing anything into Windows startup is not guaranteed
to actually run. In this day and age of incessant antivirus checks and users
running all types of "stupid" software that allows them to clear almost
everything from the autostart locations, putting anything there might not be
a good idea.

> I learned that \??\ is used for long paths. Around 32k characters is the
> max limit instead of the normal MAX_PATH (260).

Really, I thought it was \\?\

From: Jackie on
nki00 wrote:
>> I don't mean to make it sound like I deserve it but.. Thanks, nki00. I am
>> happy if I could help.
>
> Yes, you deserve it. I don't know how you do it, but you've helped me a lot
> (especially with that RAM problem).

Makes me happy to know that. It makes me feel a bit uneasy as well.
Haha. Thank you. *looking a bit shy here*

> From my experience placing anything into Windows startup is not guaranteed
> to actually run. In this day and age of incessant antivirus checks and users
> running all types of "stupid" software that allows them to clear almost
> everything from the autostart locations, putting anything there might not be
> a good idea.

> Really, I thought it was \\?\

Aha.. Yes. I should have given the source, which was this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx

But when looking another time, it turns out \??\ is not even mentioned
on that page.. I must have imagined it.

But I found this one:
http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Registry-Entry-path-preceded-ftopict630476.html

And after Googling "NT Object Manager", I came over some undocumented
stuff here:
http://www.drdobbs.com/184416468

Not sure yet if there's anything useful there. I guess undocumented APIs
are undocumented for a reason, but in that case, I hope they have
alternatives.

If "\??\" always will be consistent, I wouldn't assume users would care
if you just do it the easy and dirty way (strip that out).

But of course, it would bother me as a developer and perfectionist if I
did the same unless it's the only or best way.
Life's not easy for us. :(

--
Regards,
Jackie
From: nki00 on

> If "\??\" always will be consistent, I wouldn't assume users would care
> if you just do it the easy and dirty way (strip that out).
>
> But of course, it would bother me as a developer and perfectionist if I
> did the same unless it's the only or best way.
> Life's not easy for us. :(
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jackie

Jackie, you did it again. Thanks a lot!!!

From: Jackie on
nki00 wrote:
>> If "\??\" always will be consistent, I wouldn't assume users would care
>> if you just do it the easy and dirty way (strip that out).
>>
>> But of course, it would bother me as a developer and perfectionist if I
>> did the same unless it's the only or best way.
>> Life's not easy for us. :(
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Jackie
>

> Jackie, you did it again. Thanks a lot!!!

Not sure what I did now. xD

--
Regards,
Jackie