From: Leon on

I have a situation where I use an EQ into a crossover, into 2 bi-amps for high
and low... but also need to run the EQ signal to another amp for full range
speakers.

The EQ connects to the Xover with 2 XLR cables, and there are no other ins or
outs there... I need a junction for another amp...

So I'm thinking of making a box to input the XLR cables, "Y" them together
inside, and output to 2 or more XLR-m jacks and even 1/4" jacks, a "really
useful" connector box.

Question: Do I need to "pad" the Y-joined connections together with small
resistors, or just short things together directly?

Last time I did this kind of work was on Telephone equipment with 600ohm pads. I
made the 'pads' myself inside a patch bay.

Thanks!

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> I have a situation where I use an EQ into a crossover, into 2 bi-amps for
> high
> and low... but also need to run the EQ signal to another amp for full
> range
> speakers.
>
> The EQ connects to the Xover with 2 XLR cables, and there are no other ins
> or
> outs there... I need a junction for another amp...
>
> So I'm thinking of making a box to input the XLR cables, "Y" them together
> inside, and output to 2 or more XLR-m jacks and even 1/4" jacks, a "really
> useful" connector box.
>
> Question: Do I need to "pad" the Y-joined connections together with
> small
> resistors, or just short things together directly?
>
> Last time I did this kind of work was on Telephone equipment with 600ohm
> pads. I
> made the 'pads' myself inside a patch bay.
>
> Thanks!

if I read your post right you are trying to assign the same eq curve to two
diffrent sets of speakers, one bi-amped and one full range

do not try to use a single eq for two diffrent types of speakers, beg,
borrow or steal a second eq , doing without a eq on one of the sets of
speakers would be better than trying to share a eq on both bi-amp and full
range speakers
George

From: Leon on
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:18:16 -0500, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

><Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a situation where I use an EQ into a crossover, into 2 bi-amps for
>> high
>> and low... but also need to run the EQ signal to another amp for full
>> range
>> speakers.
>>
>> The EQ connects to the Xover with 2 XLR cables, and there are no other ins
>> or
>> outs there... I need a junction for another amp...
>>
>> So I'm thinking of making a box to input the XLR cables, "Y" them together
>> inside, and output to 2 or more XLR-m jacks and even 1/4" jacks, a "really
>> useful" connector box.
>>
>> Question: Do I need to "pad" the Y-joined connections together with
>> small
>> resistors, or just short things together directly?
>>
>> Last time I did this kind of work was on Telephone equipment with 600ohm
>> pads. I
>> made the 'pads' myself inside a patch bay.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>if I read your post right you are trying to assign the same eq curve to two
>diffrent sets of speakers, one bi-amped and one full range
>
>do not try to use a single eq for two diffrent types of speakers, beg,
>borrow or steal a second eq , doing without a eq on one of the sets of
>speakers would be better than trying to share a eq on both bi-amp and full
>range speakers
>George

You are right, George, if I was using both at the same time, but in this case
I'll be running only one set at a time, and switching the EQ (memory setting) to
match.

The thing is that I don't want to have to plug and unplug every time I switch
rooms. That's one of the reasons I bought a digital EQ with instant memory
switching.

Thanks for your input, but I still need the connector box!

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:18:16 -0500, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>><Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a situation where I use an EQ into a crossover, into 2 bi-amps
>>> for
>>> high
>>> and low... but also need to run the EQ signal to another amp for full
>>> range
>>> speakers.
>>>
>>> The EQ connects to the Xover with 2 XLR cables, and there are no other
>>> ins
>>> or
>>> outs there... I need a junction for another amp...
>>>
>>> So I'm thinking of making a box to input the XLR cables, "Y" them
>>> together
>>> inside, and output to 2 or more XLR-m jacks and even 1/4" jacks, a
>>> "really
>>> useful" connector box.
>>>
>>> Question: Do I need to "pad" the Y-joined connections together with
>>> small
>>> resistors, or just short things together directly?
>>>
>>> Last time I did this kind of work was on Telephone equipment with 600ohm
>>> pads. I
>>> made the 'pads' myself inside a patch bay.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>>if I read your post right you are trying to assign the same eq curve to
>>two
>>diffrent sets of speakers, one bi-amped and one full range
>>
>>do not try to use a single eq for two diffrent types of speakers, beg,
>>borrow or steal a second eq , doing without a eq on one of the sets of
>>speakers would be better than trying to share a eq on both bi-amp and full
>>range speakers
>>George
>>>

> You are right, George, if I was using both at the same time, but in this
> case
> I'll be running only one set at a time, and switching the EQ (memory
> setting) to
> match.
>
> The thing is that I don't want to have to plug and unplug every time I
> switch
> rooms. That's one of the reasons I bought a digital EQ with instant memory
> switching.
>
> Thanks for your input, but I still need the connector box!

eq's run line level in just get a a/b box as used in guitar rigs
and make the xlr/phone cables as needed
george

From: Audio1 on
Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
> I have a situation where I use an EQ into a crossover, into 2 bi-amps for high
> and low... but also need to run the EQ signal to another amp for full range
> speakers.
>
> The EQ connects to the Xover with 2 XLR cables, and there are no other ins or
> outs there... I need a junction for another amp...
>
> So I'm thinking of making a box to input the XLR cables, "Y" them together
> inside, and output to 2 or more XLR-m jacks and even 1/4" jacks, a "really
> useful" connector box.
>
> Question: Do I need to "pad" the Y-joined connections together with small
> resistors, or just short things together directly?

If you leave everything on all the time you can probably just go with
straight 'Y' cables, or even 'W' cables with three outputs. Careful,
going from balanced to unbalanced on a whim could cause level shifts,
hum, motorboating... you may want to unbalance the third split through a
transformer so the balanced stuff stays balanced.

If you might be running with something turned off at times then you
might want to pad the 'Y' connections.

'Probably' and 'might,' you'll test carefully of course.

Whirlwind makes a box, with a Whirlwind price,
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/299276.html

They also make a six-way line splitter with no isolation,
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/263451.html

You could modify the six way, adding another XLR-F and wiring it up as a
stereo 1x3.

> Last time I did this kind of work was on Telephone equipment with 600ohm pads. I
> made the 'pads' myself inside a patch bay.

Telephone tends to be a lot more picky about impedances, a straight 'Y'
cable will most likely work just fine for your application.