From: BURT on
On Jul 14, 11:43 am, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Sure.  Might be simpler if the racetrack were Earth's orbit, and the
> > car the Earth, too.

> > > Tracks can have start lines on though, as
> > > in racing tracks, which is what I meant
> > > when I referred to the start of the track.

> > > Ok

> > > I was thinking that since although the light
> > > would be travelling away from the observer at
> > > the speed of light, and thus be 0.75 light years
> > > in front of the observer after 0.75 of a year
>
> > ... just not the observer's year.
>
> > > (and thus have reached the mirror by the time
> > > the observer is about 0.75 light years from the
> > > mirror),
>
> > No.
>
> > > it would only have travelled 0.25 light years
> > > back towards the observer, after the 1 year.
>
> > At the speed you have indicated, the moving observer is just some
> > short distance from the mirror (a few million miles, say) when the
> > light hits.
>
> Ah this might seem to be a misunderstanding of mine then. I thought
> that unlike a car on a motorway where if car A was travelling at speed
> x-y, and car B was travelling at speed x, car B would only seem to
> pull away from car A at y mph, with light I thought, the idea was that
> even if the space ship is going at near the speed of light, the fired
> beam would still appear to travel away from it at the speed of light.
> Likewise if the observer was travelling towards an incoming light beam
> at the near the speed of light, the light would only appear to travel
> towards the observer at the speed of light. Are you saying that this
> is not the case, and that if a beam of light is fired from an object
> moving at velocity x in the same direction as the light beam, that the
> light beam will only appear to move away from that object at c-x?
>

> > > Such that the observation (for the observer
> > > travelling towards the track) after 1.125 years
> > > travelling would be of the reflection, and the
> > > vehicle being seen to have gone 0.325 of the
> > > way around the track (a full lap taking 2 years).
>
> > The Earth will have travelled just over one rotation around the Sun as
> > the moving observer crosses the plane of the racetrack.  There is a
> > full rotation of the Earth in transit to the ship's starting point, so
> > the moving observer will see the car start about the halfway point,
> > and the Earth make "two" full rotations on his way inbound.  Which
> > trip will take about 3.9 hours (moving onserver's time) at the gamma
> > you've established.
>
> > > Would you be so kind as to mention how far you
> > > think the car would have appeared to have
> > > travelled around the track to the observer in
> > > the approaching track when first 'seeing' the
> > > light reflected off the mirror?
>
> > I'd have to look up your speeds, and frankly, the answer will confuse
> > you more than you are already confused.
>
> > Let me provide you a helpful link:http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~dkoks/Faq/
>
> > And recommend "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler.- Hide quoted text -

If you begin to move objects around you appear to move in the opposite
dirction and they shrink in the distance.

Mitch Raemsch
From: dlzc on
Dear someone2:

wrote:
> > > I was thinking that since although the light
> > > would be travelling away from the observer at
> > > the speed of light, and thus be 0.75 light years
> > > in front of the observer after 0.75 of a year
>
> > ... just not the observer's year.
>
> > > (and thus have reached the mirror by the time
> > > the observer is about 0.75 light years from the
> > > mirror),
>
> > No.
>
> > > it would only have travelled 0.25 light years
> > > back towards the observer, after the 1 year.
>
> > At the speed you have indicated, the moving
> > observer is just some short distance from the
> > mirror (a few million miles, say) when the
> > light hits.
>
> Ah this might seem to be a misunderstanding of
> mine then. I thought that unlike a car on a
> motorway where if car A was travelling at speed
> x-y, and car B was travelling at speed x, car B
> would only seem to pull away from car A at y mph,
> with light I thought, the idea was that even if
> the space ship is going at near the speed of
> light, the fired beam would still appear to travel
> away from it at the speed of light.

It does. But *in the ship's frame*, the rest distance of 1 light year
can be measured (by the ships' instruments) by many different methods
to be about 3.9 light hours.

> Likewise if the observer was travelling towards
> an incoming light beam at the near the speed of
> light, the light would only appear to travel
> towards the observer at the speed of light.

Correct.

> Are you saying that this is not the case, and
> that if a beam of light is fired from an object
> moving at velocity x in the same direction as
> the light beam, that the light beam will only
> appear to move away from that object at c-x?

No. What I am saying is that "time dilation" and "length contraction"
are two faces of the same coin. Please look at the link I provided,
at minimum. Or here, if you have the stomach for it.

http://www.motionmountain.net/mmdownload.php?f=motionmountain-volume2.pdf

Everyone sets themselves up for "frame jumps", since "common sense"
says that measurements by different observers "must be" the same for
all frames. It is sometimes close enough where our "common sense" is
trained, but it is a serious mistake at speeds close to c.

It is even detectable at the speed of aircraft (special relativity),
and/or altitudes of a few hundred feet (general relativity), if you
can integrate the effects over time.

David A. Smith
From: someone2 on
On 14 July, 20:56, dlzc <dl...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Dear someone2:
>
> On Jul 14, 11:43 am, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:> On 14 July, 19:10, dlzc <dl...(a)cox.net> wrote:

> > > ... just not the observer's year.

> > > No.

> > > At the speed you have indicated, the moving
> > > observer is just some short distance from the
> > > mirror (a few million miles, say) when the
> > > light hits.
>
> > Ah this might seem to be a misunderstanding of
> > mine then. I thought that unlike a car on a
> > motorway where if car A was travelling at speed
> > x-y, and car B was travelling at speed x, car B
> > would only seem to pull away from car A at y mph,
> > with light I thought, the idea was that even if
> > the space ship is going at near the speed of
> > light, the fired beam would still appear to travel
> > away from it at the speed of light.
>
> It does.  But *in the ship's frame*, the rest distance of 1 light year
> can be measured (by the ships' instruments) by many different methods
> to be about 3.9 light hours.
>
> > Likewise if the observer was travelling towards
> > an incoming light beam at the near the speed of
> > light, the light would only appear to travel
> > towards the observer at the speed of light.
>
> Correct.
>
> > Are you saying that this is not the case, and
> > that if a beam of light is fired from an object
> > moving at velocity x in the same direction as
> > the light beam, that the light beam will only
> > appear to move away from that object at c-x?
>
> No.  What I am saying is that "time dilation" and "length contraction"
> are two faces of the same coin.  Please look at the link I provided,
> at minimum.  Or here, if you have the stomach for it.
>
> http://www.motionmountain.net/mmdownload.php?f=motionmountain-volume2....
>
> Everyone sets themselves up for "frame jumps", since "common sense"
> says that measurements by different observers "must be" the same for
> all frames.  It is sometimes close enough where our "common sense" is
> trained, but it is a serious mistake at speeds close to c.
>
> It is even detectable at the speed of aircraft (special relativity),
> and/or altitudes of a few hundred feet (general relativity), if you
> can integrate the effects over time.

The question is about the frame of reference of the observer that is
approaching the tracke. I'm not sure where this frame is ever left, so
I'm not clear on where you are suggesting frame jumping is taking
place. I thought you were saying that the observer approaching the
track would find themselves only a small distance away from the track
as the beam of light they fired reached the mirror, since you said:

"At the speed you have indicated, the moving observer is just some
short distance from the mirror (a few million miles, say) when the
light hits."

Though if they were, then I'm not clear how the light appeared to them
to be leaving them at the spead of light, since it is only a little
bit ahead of them. I am assuming that they will be using the vehicle
going around the track as their clock, taking into account how long it
takes the light to reach them at their given position. Or is it that
if they did this, that the light would not seem to be leaving them at
the speed of light, but only if they used a clock on board their ship,
such that measured by that onboard clock the journey appears to have
taken less time, and therefore the slight distance the light beam was
ahead of them, given the time shown on the onboard clock, would
indicate light travelling at c.

Purely from the frame of reference of the observer that fires the beam
of light towards the track, what will they be expected to see at the
time the light is reflected back to them (how far will the vechile
have appeared to have gone around the track)?

(I took a look at the link you provided btw to the FAQ, and it is a
useful link, I'm not clear what I should have looked at for the answer
to the question though, perhaps if you just gave me the answer and
explained how you arrived at it, it would help).
From: Mathal on
On Jul 14, 8:49 am, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 14 July, 14:34, Mathal <mathmusi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 14, 5:31 am, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was wondering if anyone could help me understand issues of
> > > simultaneity under relativity.
>
> > > I was thinking of a circular track in space, which a vechile moving at
> > > 100mph takes 2 years to make a circuit, and there being a mirror in
> > > the middle of the track, and an observer 1.5 light years from the
> > > track,  travelling towards it at near light speed, while firing a beam
> > > of light at the mirror.
>
> > > Would I be correct in thinking that after 1 year the observer would be
> > > 0.5 light years from the track, and be receiving back a reflection of
> > > the fired light beam from the mirror, and the light from when the
> > > vehicle was quarter of the way around the track (assumes the vehicle
> > > to have started its journey from the start of the track, as the
> > > observer started start its journey towards the track & mirror).
>
> > > If I am not correct, could you please state what the correct
> > > observations would be expected to be.
>
> > After one year from the frame of the mirror the observer would be
> > lagging just behind the photons travelling towards the mirror. Neither
> > the observer or the light would have arrived yet.
> > From the observer's travelling just below light speed's point of view
> > a few microseconds have transpired. He can't see the light but it's on
> > it's way just a few light micro-seconds ahead of him.
>
> I thought that light would be moving away from the observer at the
> speed of light, regardless of the speed that the observer was moving
> at. So it wouldn't be like cars on a motorway where if one car was
> going at x, and the other at slightly less that x, that the former
> would only be pulling away by the amount the latter was travelling
> below x.

Light is moving away from the observer at the speed of light. In the
frame of the moving observer-travelling at near light speed time is
moving slower than in a the other frame that is pertinent to your
question- the frame of the mirror. The way you phrased the problem the
moving observer is travelling at near light speed with respect to the
mirror which can be taken to be the rest frame in this problem.
Conversely the mirror can be travelling towards the stationary
observer at near light speed and all results would be reversed. Time
is moving slower in a faster frame. If you think about it from the
mirror frame the photon is released and travels at the speed of light
to the mirror. The observer, travelling at near light speed will
arrive shortly after the photon.
The observer, travelling at near the speed of light is in a frame
that operates much slower so that only a minute amount of time has
elapsed in this frame when a year has elapsed in the mirror frame. In
the observers frame light is travelling away from him at the speed of
light.
One other thing- the observer could not survive for a moment or
two travelling at this velocity. Most particles would collide with him
at near light speed and obliterate all traces of his/her existence.
The light sent to the mirror would be an absurdly high frequency
blowing holes through the mirror with every photon that hit the
mirror. There would be virtually no reflection of light.
Light travels at the speed of light in both frames. The near light
observer and the mirror. The only way this is possible is for the
observer to be in a slower time frame.
Mathal
From: xxein on
On Jul 14, 8:13 pm, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the speed of light, but only if they used a clock on board their ship,
> such that measured by that onboard clock the journey appears to have
> taken less time, and therefore the slight distance the light beam was
> ahead of them, given the time shown on the onboard clock, would
> indicate light travelling at c.
>
> Purely from the frame of reference of the observer that fires the beam
> of light towards the track, what will they be expected to see at the
> time the light is reflected back to them (how far will the vechile
> have appeared to have gone around the track)?
>
> (I took a look at the link you provided btw to the FAQ, and it is a
> useful link, I'm not clear what I should have looked at for the answer
> to the question though, perhaps if you just gave me the answer and
> explained how you arrived at it, it would help).- Hide quoted text -

xxein: To understand this better, don't allow gravity to have an
affect. It will confuse your issue of particular understanding.
Worry about gravity later. I can help you there.

Lorentz was very capable to handle inertial frames. Einstein tried to
make a shortcut math to make it simpler to compute. But Einsein left
out the physic of it all. Lorentz did not say that the speed of light
was a constant c in all frames. There are moving frames. What does
that mean for observers? It means that if observers (in the simplest
terms) are moving at the same velocity along the same line, that they
will observe each other as if their shared inertial frame was moving
or not. That is all there is to the observational aspect of it.

Now. There is a physic of how this happens. It is contained in the
Lorentz formulas. Einstein thought there was a math shortcut that
superceded the physic. Silly man (or his wife). But everyone liked
it. Just as the Einstein followers you read here.

c is a physical constant --- not a math constant just because it is
observed that way. A few posts tried to tell you that you can observe
light going away from you. No such thing. You can only observe light
coming directly toward you. How else would light come to your
observation? How else could you travel at a speed that was
differentiated from the speed of light? These guys aren't real
physicists. They are math beleivers - just like Einstein. Just for
fun, ask them to describe the evolution of a universe from energy
released to what is now. They have no coherent explanation. It might
be an unfair question but ask them how the energy got released and/or
where it came from.

Nevertheless, the term of 'inertial frame' is ill-defined except for
the purpose of a theory. Just because someone believes a partiular
theory, it does not mean that the definition is physically a correct
one.

But let's get back to what you want to understand. Observers A and B
and/or what will A observe if moving wrt B (and vv). See? We already
have moving frames. They are in a physical respect to c already. How
can any moving frame claim that c is c to him? Only by what each
observes. It becomes paradoxical to a physic, but not to a physics
made from observation. So? Do we have knowledge of the physic or
only a belief in a math theory to make a physics? The dilemna is that
the math theory tells us what we will physically measure but not
physically why it happens that way.

Lorentz puts out the physics and Einstein puts out a short math.
Please learn the difference.

I'm too lazy right now to look up my old notes to show how this works,
but please learn that a math expression, written to give the same math
result but with different form, can give the same value. Which form
is correct to express the physical meaning? One describes this and
the other describes that. That the values are the same does not mean
they describe the physical process as the same in it's proper logical
and/or physical context. Perhaps I'll get unlazy some day and give
you a concrete example.

In the meantime, study Lorentz and wonder why gravity exists (even
though he didn't know or addres it).
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Big Bang
Next: Painus Is Buying AA A New Laptop !