From: xxein on
On Jul 15, 7:38 pm, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > That sounds about right.
>
> > > with 99.99999% of the speed of light, gamma = 2236, so 1 year comes
> > > out to be 3.912 hours.
>
> > > It might be helpful to consider the apparent superluminal motion,
> > > though.  Let us consider for a moment exactly 100 million meters.
>
> > > As the earth approaches us at 99.99999% of the speed of light, it
> > > releases some light, which comes at us at exactly 100% of the speed of
> > > light.  At the moment that that light reaches us, we will see the
> > > earth as it was then, exactly 100 million meters away.
>
> > > However, during the time since the earth released that light, it has
> > > traversed 99.99999% of that distance itself, and in fact, is now
> > > exactly 1 meter away.  In effect, this means that by all appearances,
> > > the earth is traveling toward us at about 100 million times the speed
> > > of light.  Quite troubling.
>
> > > I think if you reason it out, properly, you'll realize that events
> > > around and about the earth will be similarly running in fast-forward.
> > > This superluminal effect should be considered along with the time-
> > > dilation effect, though it overwhelms the time dilation effect in this
> > > situation.  (The time-dilation factor being around 2236, while this
> > > effect being on the order of 100 million.)
>
> > > I think, in answer to your question, then, someone2, is that the
> > > observer will see the car racing very quickly around the mirror during
> > > the 3.9 hours the track is approaching.
>
> > xxein:  You don't know gamma, do you?- Hide quoted text -

> You can say the road is moving instead of the car in Relativity.
>
> Mitch Raemsch- Hide quoted text -

xxein: That is Relativity. Not the physic.
From: BURT on
On Jul 16, 3:51 pm, xxein <xxxx...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 7:38 pm, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > xxein:  You don't know gamma, do you?- Hide quoted text -

> > You can say the road is moving instead of the car in Relativity.
>
> > Mitch Raemsch- Hide quoted text -

> xxein:  That is Relativity.  Not the physic.- Hide quoted text -

But Relativity is supposed to be the physic of Einstein.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Jonathan Doolin on

> > > You can say the road is moving instead of the car in Relativity.

The car says the road is moving, the road says the car is moving.
That's relativity; that's physics, that's common sense.
From: Bruce Richmond on
On Jul 16, 10:49 am, someone2 <glenn.spig...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > each hour, that heading towards the light source beaming the pictures,
> > > you could still calculate the interval you'd expect between each
> > > picture, but you wouldn't consider the interval to be an hour, since
> > > you were moving towards the source.
>
> > > Likewise with the track, and the interval between each lap.

> > > Ok, we can ignore gravity.

> > > I wasn't suggesting that laws themselves propergated, just that they
> > > contained a propergation rate referred to as t (time). Though perhaps
> > > I shouldn't have referred to t as the propergation rate, and instead
> > > of referred to it as an event synchronisation indicator.

> > > I'm not sure that I have got the concept.
>
> > The slowing of a moving clock is caused by how you measure its rate
> > and the effects of relative simultanity.  Same deal with the length of
> > a rod.  All the clocks are identical and tic at the same rate, as
> > measured in their rest frame.  Move the clock to a different rest
> > frame and it will tick at the same rate as the clocks already in that
> > frame.  Same deal with a meter rod.  It is the same length as all
> > other meter rods in the frame, and when moved to another frame will be
> > the same length as the meter rods in that frame.
>
> > To set up your coordinate system put a clock at each end of a rod.  To
> > sync the clocks flash beams of light back and forth between the
> > clocks.  Since light travels the same speed in either direction, when
> > the clocks are adjusted so the light takes the same time to travel the
> > length of the rod in either direction the clocks are in sync.
>
> > Now switch to a second frame that is moving relative to the first.
> > You set up a series of rods and clocks and sych them.  Now watch as
> > the first rod passes by and a light flashes along its length.  The
> > light is moving at c as measured by your stationary clocks.  Because
> > the first rod is moving relative to you, you calculate that the light
> > is traveling at c+v relative to it.  Note that it is a calculation,
> > not a direct measurement.  We call this a closing speed.  Flash the
> > light in the opposit direction and you get c-v.
>
> > If we measure how long it takes the light to travel the lenght of the
> > rod in opposit directions we get different times.  But we know that an
> > observer moving with the rod measures the light to take the same time
> > in either direction.  The reason he is able to do that is because,
> > from our perspective, his clocks are out of sync.  Remember, they were
> > set based on light traveling at c relative to the moving rod.  So both
> > frames measure the speed of light to be c in their own frame while
> > calculating it to be c+/-v in the other frame.
>
> Though if the clocks had a light on them, and when they were in synch
> both lit up together, when they don't appear to light up together as
> the as the rod passes, isn't this just due to the difference in
> distance from each clock (as it flashes its light) to the observer?> All the clocks in the moving frame are out of sync relative to ours.

No. We have determined the time of the flashes based on the time
showing on the synchronized clock adjacent to them. That eliminates
the travel time of the travel time for the light to reach the
observer. The two frames dissagree because they both measure the
speed of light to be c in their own frame but calculate it to be
something else in the other frame.

[snip]
From: Glenn Spigel on
On 16 July, 19:45, dlzc <dl...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> "textbook" (very light on math), that can help you learn the lingo,
> and the meanings.  You have described "propergation rate" a few
> different ways so far, so you obviously have some preconceived notions
> that I don't intend to lance and remove for your personal health.  I
> just am trying to answer your question, and I will try not to delve
> into your personal fantasies of what words "should" mean, or what
> words "should have been" chosen to convey meanings.

> > > *And* time is dilated for you.

> > > Time is a fundamental property of a system, and
> > > one way or another, we don't get time "contained
> > > in" anything.  Time spans all theories...
>
> > not all equations contain the event synchronisation
> > indicator variable though.
>
> Then they are trivial, uninteresting, or have disguised / masked it in
> more complex quantities.  Again you insist on dragging your personal
> fantasies into the conversation.  No one knows what time is.  Changing
> its name to four words, does not convey more meaning.  In fact the
> choices you have made for its substitution are non-sequitur in most
> contexts.

> > > Radioactive decay, chemical clocks, spring clocks,
> > > heartbeats, even hard boiling eggs, all will be
> > > slowed by the same amount.
>
> > Yes, everything in the frame will propergate at a
> > slower rate relative to the track.
>
> Whatever.

> > > Why should that be the case?  Adding additional
> > > Universes to this only muddies up matters.
>
> > I'm not saying that it should should be the case
> > in all conceptual scenarios. Do you accept that
> > conceptually you could have a universe in which
> > things propergate at twice the rate of our
> > universe, and yet the observations within it still
> > fit with the same 'laws of physics'?
>
> I can change c (and G, and h) to a value of 1, and still talk about
> this Universe.  But in the appropriate system of units, distance and
> time don't compare to meters and seconds as easily.  You are not
> establishing a different Universe, just rescaling this one.  Check
> this out:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_%CF%80_theoremhttp://en.wikipedia..org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis
>
> > The reason I mention it is to avoid confusion
> > over what we are referring to when we are
> > talking about time in physics. So I mention
> > it to make a distinction, to avoid a muddled
> > view.
>
> The "mud" in this case is delivered to this thread by you.  You
> apparently have some agenda against using standard nomenclature, or
> learning the knowledge set that answers your question on this topic
> will somehow endanger your presonal belief-set.  I can point you at
> communication aids, but I cannot help your "mental illness".
>
> > With the two universe view, you can see the
> > idea that the term 'time' can be used in the
> > sense that in one universe, things propergate
> > at twice the speed of the other universe.
>
> See instead of time, you now describe something significantly

Well it might seem like 'mud' to you if you are unable to grasp what I
am meaning, and then consequently unable to say whether it is ok for
me to have understood what you are saying in these terms.

I'll try to explain further what I am saying. Suppose you were to be
able to view a scene from each of two alternate universes through
magic viewing mirrors. When looking through them, the scene seems to
be of the same room in each, as though you were watching a video of
each if you will, except that in one it seems that the video is being
viewed on fast forward, such that everything in the speeded up
universe is happening twice as quickly as the other universe. If you
were to consider being an observer in each of the scenes, can you
understand that the same physics equations would hold in both. Such
that if you was a cup dropped in each scene, from the perspective of
an observer in each scene, the cup dropped the same amount of distance
in the 'time' measured by the clock on the wall. If 'time' t in the
physics equations is a variable measuring the synchronisation of
events, then you can see why it is unchanged in the two alternate
universes mentioned, since within each, the synchonisation of events
is the same. Though a different meaning of 'time' might be the rate
the events propergated at, and this is different between the two
universes, since in one the events propergate at twice the rate of the
other.

I presume the issue of whether 't' in the physics equations refers to
event synchronisation was covered in the Bergson/Einstein debate.
Where the Einstein camp claimed Bergson didn't understand them, and
Bergson claimed they didn't understand him. I haven't read the debate
as I haven't seen a transcript of it, but hopefully you can visualise
the 'magic mirror' example above, and say whether when you use the
word 'time' are you meaning the synchronisation of events, and can you
understand what I am referring to when I say that the events in one
universe are propergating twice as fast as in the other, and would I
be correct in thinking that you might describe this as time being
faster in one universe relative to the other?

> > Alternatively, using 'time' as in equations,
> > where it is an event synchronisation indicator,
> > the two universes
>
> Same Universe, you've just applied a different scale.

> > > No, it is not.
>
> > How about I say the 'propergation is described
> > using terms of synchonisity'?
>
> Use the language.  Learn the language.  I had to.

> > > Doesn't follow.  Why don't you stick to *this*
> > > Universe, destroy whatever pre-copnceived notions
> > > you have about "synchornisation" and
> > > "propergation", and get "Spacetime Physics"?
>
> > When you say it doesn't follow, are you saying that
> > it isn't necessary that the alternate universe
> > should be describle in the same terms of physics,
> > or that things propergating twice as fast in it
> > prevents it being describable in the same terms of
> > physics.
>
> I'm saying changing c might have a change only in the
> meter_other_universe, and may have no effect on things that control
> the rate of radaioactive decay (for example).

There though, you'd be imagining that some events propergated twice as
fast and not others. Use your imagination (as apparently Einstein did
quite often), and imagine a universe where all events propergated
twice as fast (as in the magic mirror scenario above).

> > I have explained above why I am mentioning an
> > alternate universe. The reason I persist in
> > bringing up synchronisation and propergation, is
> > that unless I am clear about what 'spacetime
> > physics' is saying about the synchronisation of
> > events, I won't have 'got it'.
>
> Spacetime Physics is a book, that I recommended in my first response.
> You clearly don't "got it".

> > > They are defined as collections of objects /
> > > points that have a constant, uniform,
> > > non-accelerated motion.

> > > See, I thought you were asking questions, not
> > > selling your preconceived, imagined meanings of
> > > words.  If I have to learn your language before
> > > I can talk to you, this will take too long.  Get
> > > "Spacetime Physics", and see what the language
> > > of relativity is.

> > I am asking questions, and not trying to sell a
> > "preconceived, imagined meanings of words". I
> > clarify my current thoughts, to give a context to
> > the question, in order that you may fashion the
> > most informative response.
>
> I am not a trained pony.  You have tried to mold what I said into the
> structure that you have already decided fits this Universe, and your
> understanding of it.  And you keep feeling like telling me about your
> internal *broken* system will somehow get me to agree to using it, or
> to continue trying to decipher it.  I tell you now directly, I tire of
> this game.

Sounds like you need to relax a bit, and maybe just read what I am
actually saying, rather than what you think I might be saying, in
light of the motives that you are imagining me to have.

> > Such that if you can understand what I mean by
> > 'propergation rate' for example, and you know
> > yourself to mean something other than that by
> > 'time dialation' then you can say so.
>
> SO.
>
> > The way I have understood it so far, is that
> > at high velocity,
>
> At *different* velocity, high or not.  If the difference is high,
> measurement differences are easier to detect.
>
> > things propergate slower, such that
> > "radioactive decay, chemical clocks, spring
> > clocks, heartbeats, even hard boiling eggs, all
> > will be slowed by the same amount", and so if
> > 'time' of events on board was measured by a
> > onboard (slowly propergating) clock, 'time'
> > could be said to have 'dialated'.
>
> Dilation (note the spelling) describes the scaling of "the passage of
> time" from one frame into the other.
>
> > I appreciate the help you have given so far
> > though, but if you feel that the issue will
> > take too long to clarify, and wish to stop, then
> > that's fine, you've already been a help.
>
> I'd recommend, again, "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler.

> > > Note to self.  The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, not per
> > > hour.  No observation of apparent FTL is expected.
>
> > > ...> > By the way, you think your ship is "really fast"?  Check
>
> > >http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/OhMyGodParticle/

> > > No, this requires a frame jump.  Duration in the
> > > particle's frame, and distance in the rest frame.
>
> > Ah ok, now I have seen the definition of a 'frame'
> > that you provided I can see that if an observer changes
> > velocity they change frame.
>
> What separates frames (in special relativity) is relative velocity.

> > > one frame (similar to the track and car's frame)

> > > Second frame, one that is separated from the other
> > > by *massive* acceleration.

> > > Distance in the rest frame, and duration in
> > > the moving frame.  If they  measure distance
> > > while moving, they get the same speed of
> > > 99.99999%c, just as you specified, for the
> > > trip.  They can use parallax, subtended size
> > > of the track, intensity of source, and all will
> > > yield the distance as just a tad over 3.9 light
> > > hours away (as they cross the "rest frame 1
> > > light year away" mark.
>
> > Thanks
>
> You can thank me by reading the links, and perhaps picking up the book
> (or even downloading the Motion Mountain physics chapter) I have
> directed you towards.
>
> Things will be clearer when you encounter descriptions of relativity
> and relativisitc effects on the internet, and you won't have these
> basic questions.  Mostly based on an incorrect internal model of the
> Universe.  I can't fix your model, only you can.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Big Bang
Next: Painus Is Buying AA A New Laptop !