From: David Boucherie & Co on
Hey Peter...

Peter Duniho wrote:
> That last statement is either incorrect, or you are being sloppy with
> your terminology.

Or both! Ha! =P

Thanks for fixing my post. Of course, I feel really stupid now, but at
least I learned something. :)

David
From: Peter Duniho on
David Boucherie & Co wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks for fixing my post. Of course, I feel really stupid now, but at
> least I learned something. :)

We all should learn something new every day! :)

Besides, there's no reason to feel stupid�the bulk of your post was
reasonably accurate. The fact is most people using .NET probably don't
think much about the GC system at all, never mind have much
comprehension of what's specifically going on. Seems to me you're ahead
of the game, even if there were a few details slightly off. :)

Pete
From: Jon on
"It's entirely about whether the object is reachable or not."

There's a difference between what is actually not reachable, and what the runtime thinks is not
reachable.

From: Peter Duniho on
Jon wrote:
> "It's entirely about whether the object is reachable or not."
>
> There's a difference between what is actually not reachable, and what the runtime thinks is not
> reachable.

Not as far as GC is concerned. The only "reachable" that matters for
the purposes of discussing GC is what the runtime thinks is reachable.