From: jfire7887 on
My sister's PC has contracted Vundo, and while I've been OK with doing some
work on it remotely (she's 6 hours away), I want to do some of the more
involved fixing with the PC in front of me (e.g. probably can't connect
remotely if in Safe Mode). I'm trying to get her to bring "the box" (and the
kb and mouse) down on Thanksgiving, leaving her monitor at home because I
have a spare in storage.

(1) Will I be able to simply plug in the spare monitor?
(2) Will she be able to simply plug in her monitor when she returns?

I can provide information about her PC and monitor, and the spare monitor,
if it makes a difference in answering the question. Thanks.
From: Shenan Stanley on
jfire7887 wrote:
> My sister's PC has contracted Vundo, and while I've been OK with
> doing some work on it remotely (she's 6 hours away), I want to do
> some of the more involved fixing with the PC in front of me (e.g.
> probably can't connect remotely if in Safe Mode). I'm trying to get
> her to bring "the box" (and the kb and mouse) down on Thanksgiving,
> leaving her monitor at home because I have a spare in storage.
>
> (1) Will I be able to simply plug in the spare monitor?
> (2) Will she be able to simply plug in her monitor when she returns?
>
> I can provide information about her PC and monitor, and the spare
> monitor, if it makes a difference in answering the question. Thanks.

1) Same type of connector she has on her computer available on the monitor?
(VGA, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort?)

2) Yes. Make sure you set the resolution to something both monitors can
'handle'.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: SC Tom on

"jfire7887" <jfire7887(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My sister's PC has contracted Vundo, and while I've been OK with doing
> some
> work on it remotely (she's 6 hours away), I want to do some of the more
> involved fixing with the PC in front of me (e.g. probably can't connect
> remotely if in Safe Mode). I'm trying to get her to bring "the box" (and
> the
> kb and mouse) down on Thanksgiving, leaving her monitor at home because I
> have a spare in storage.
>
> (1) Will I be able to simply plug in the spare monitor?
> (2) Will she be able to simply plug in her monitor when she returns?
>
> I can provide information about her PC and monitor, and the spare monitor,
> if it makes a difference in answering the question. Thanks.

More than likely, yes. One difference could be if she has DVI out and your
spare monitor only has a VGA plug. If you know the model of her PC, and if
she's had any video card upgrades done to it, you can find out that info
pretty easily.

SC Tom

From: Schloicka on
Shouldn't be any trouble. Might have to adjust the resolution but not a big
deal.

From: jfire7887 on
Thanks, Schloicka, Shenan and SC Tom! I have responded in further detail to
Shenan at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=b7678047-aad0-4e79-8085-fa2638c42402&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=en-us&p=1.
That post includes links to the specs for her monitor and one of the two I
have available to use. The information between them is very similar, so if
can be certain, she won't have to bring her monitor as a fallback.